How do I simplify (bezier) curves? (to reduce the number of vector points?)

Greetings all.

I've got some contour lines which I edited in Adobe Illustrator. Illustrator has a fantastic method for reducing the number of vertex points on a line, saving memory, etc. and also smoothing the path at the same time.

My problem is, when I then import these lines to VW via DWG, the imported lines have millions of new vertex points, meaning my drawing is HUGE, ie., slow ;(

Here is the background to the problem

> In Illustrator, here is the FANTASTIC method of simplifying curves :

object > path > simplify then, there is dialog which allows one to specify, among other options, "curve precision". Then, it shows you the number of points like this:

original: 238, current 150 (after smoothing):

In this way one sees right away:

a: the mathematical reduction

b: the new (final, post smoothing) shape (via onscreen preview in the drawing box)

So: here is my question - (finally!)

Is there a way to do this in VectorWorks?

Or, maybe a better way to import from Illustrator than I have been using?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advise from the community.

best from Berlin

Jason

I tried out the Polygon Tool on Vectorbits. Its GREAT! Exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't have the same "preview" function that Illustrator has but the functionality is essentially identical. Very nice.

What I am still wondering is, why do my lines get so many vertexes when I import them from illustrator? This is something I am very curious about. Any ideas out there?

Thanks to Ian and Mike for your advice (above)...

• 4 years later...

Hi there,

I few years later, but I have the same question. Geometry that is converted from illustrator is extremely heavy and impossible to work with. I am wondering if there is a way in Vectorworks to rebuild curves and reduce a number of points in a curve.

Thanks in advance.