creating Polys from walls tool

Turning off the Ext.Finish Wall Component before running Poly's from Walls does NOT do it...Gross Area options still draws the poly to the outer edge of the Ext.Finish.

Work-around method:

Create a new Wall Style, Delete the Sheathing and Siding Components of the wall you are using. Save this as a new Wall Style. (Compare the two images here). (Note my example here is very basic, one could just draw a rectangle snapping to the face of stud instead, but this method could be very useful if you have a lot of walls in a complex shape.)

Run a Replace Wall Style command on all of your walls, selecting a reference plane that will not shift your wall (Such as selecting the Gypsum Board Component rather than the center of wall).

Now with those walls still selected Create Poly's from Walls->Gross Area, now you have what you need.

Lastly select your walls again and Replace back to your original wall style.

Sounds like a lot of steps, but it is actually very fast.

picture15sj4.pngpicture14nj6.png

picture18dh1.pngpicture19ir1.pngpicture20xz2.pngpicture21jy6.pngpicture22el1.pngpicture23pb8.png

I think Mac B was wanting to go from the opposite direction from what Peter is suggesting, (otherwise I just wasted a few minutes, oh well) but at least now we know how to get the results we are looking for frontwards and backwards...hooray...

Guest Wes Gardner

The way I do it is go ahead and create Gross Poly from walls then use the Offset command to reduce the size of the poly...in my case on this last project, I had 7/8" thick siding + 1/2" sheathing - added together equaled 1 3/8" so I just reduced the size of the Gross Poly using the Offset scenario by 1 3/8" resulting in a poly I could then turn into a Floor Object and model my project correctly....

Edited by Wes Gardner