post sample file?

Hello,

I am trying to evaluate VW as a possible replacement for AutoCAD, which i know quite well. I've got a copy at school and have been playing around with it. The drawing tools seem easy enough, but can't figure out exactly how the drawings are supposed to be organized. Could someone post a sample file that I could look at that has several drawing sheets laid out? Maybe a small building or site plan with a couple of detail sheets, preferably something simple, not BIM driven, if that is possible. I just want to see how a basic file is set up.

That would be extremely helpful figuring out how classes and layers work, and how you do things like set up different sheets to print, etc.

Thanks,

Wade

Wade-

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure that posting a sample file would teach you the ONE way to set up a VW file, as there's many ways to go about it. Some users apply the put-everything-in-one-file approach, others break the project up into different files, separating the drawing model from its annotation.

VW Classes are analogous to ACAD's Layers. VW Layers are used to break up the project into chunks, usually floor levels.

Also take a look at Jonathan Pickup's informative posts on the topic of Layers & Classes:

Layers and Classes

Layers and Classes (again)

It might also be helpful to look at some of the projects profiled on the NNA Case Studies page, perhaps the Morehouse case study: VectorWorks Architect Gives More Design Freedom to Custom Home Architects

Tim

This might help:

- VW Design Layers = Autocad model space (Autocad has one and VW has as many as you like).

- VW Classes = Autocad layers.

- VW Sheet Layers = Autocad paper space.

- VW Design Layer Viewports = Autocad model space X-refs (VWs can be internal or external).

- VW Sheet Layer Viewports = Autocad paper space viewports (VW has two types - Sheet Layer Viewports and Section Viewports).

- VW Symbols = Autocad blocks.

The big difference is VW has multiple model spaces (Design Layers) which are stacked vertically. This allows you to model (or draw) successive storeys in a building directly on top of each other. By giving each of these model spaces a vertical datum (Z) you can then view the whole model correctly assembled using Stack Layers.

Get used to the terminology difference (think of design layers as the where and the classes as the what) and you will be able to organise your work as you do in Autocad. With one big difference of course - in VW you model (or draw) your successive vertical layers as they would be in real life - on top of each other.

PS

In my experience after getting used to the terminology the concepts that most Autocad users find difficult are:

- Drawing/modelling with objects rather than lines.

- The complexity of the view and snap options in VW where you have options for these with both Layers and Classes.

- The different resource types (2D, 3D and 2D/3D).

- The multiple model spaces.

Edited by mike m oz