Wrapping around a solid

I know of no straightforward way of performing this wrapping operation in VectorWorks. VectorWorks has no deformers, unlike other applications like Maya, StudioTools and a couple of others.

The other question - unfolding a NURBS surface - is even more complicated. Only a couple of really high-end CAD applications are capable of doing this - think ProE with certain modules, CATIA or UniGraphics.

Cheers,

BaRa

Touch 3D seems to do a good job. I know that the developer of the software uses VW, and that both together are a good package.

Will be good if one day we have something on the 3D power pack: VS can play with 3D polys, but is way over individual scripting to unfold nurbs surfaces!!!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Cloud Hidden:

I want to create a tin can--easy enough--and then I want to create a design I can use to cut holes in the cylinder w/ Subtract Solids.

Do you really need the can physically changed? If not, lay out your design as a transparency texture map, and apply it as a texture with a cylindrical projection.

I seem to remember that Form-Z is only capable of unfolding polygonal geometry, not NURBS. Unless that has been changed since version 4, but I doubt that. And as I recall, the same holds true for Rhino. There are a lot of apps capable of unfolding polygons. There even used to be a plugin for VectorWorks that did just that. But unfolding NURBS is a bit more difficult.

Cheers,

BaRa

I want to create a tin can--easy enough--and then I want to create a design I can use to cut holes in the cylinder w/ Subtract Solids. I'd prefer to create the design for the cuts on a flat sheet, be/c I know the dimensions, and then wrap it around the cylinder. That's the part I can't figure out--how to roll a flat design into a cylinder. Ideas?

Corollary...is there a way to take a cylinder, open it, and flatten it to see the design in 2D?