classes of imported DWG ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

monkey

Question

can anyone please help, i work in conjunction with an architect and we share our files quite a lot, he uses autocad. now when he sends me his drawing as a dwg and it has the same class names as i am using in my current drawing ( due to the fact his drawing is one of my previous ones added to his) when i import the drawing, all his class properties over-ride mine, so basically everything turns black, and i have to go through each class one by one and put it right. i have been using VW for a few years now and have trying to solve this since day one,am i being blind.......... is there a box i havent checked that will sort this out?

4 answers to this question

I AM BLIND....... i found the option to add a prefix to imported classes, cant believe its been staring me in the face for this long.

Still it really makes me wonder why on earth VW allows an imported dwg to over-ride your class atributes, surely it should make the dwg's classes match your attributes if the have the same name...... anyway

When you import a single DWG file there is an option to insert a prefix in front of the DWG Class names. Use this and you won't have the overwriting problem.

If you only need to see the information rather than edit it you can use the 'shuttle file' technique:

- Import your DWG file into a new blank drawing.

- Reference that information into your destination file with a DLVP.

Doing it this way will prevent your drawing being populated by the Autocad blocks, line types and Classes. As a by product of this your Classes won't get overwritten by the Autocad Class definitions.

PS - Ray you were too quick. You posted whilst I was composing my reply.

Edited by mike m oz