2008 Viewer not installing correctly on XP laptop

IanH

Question

I am having problems installing the VW2008 viewer on my XP laptop. This already has 2008 on it, but I want the ability to view even of the dongle is not present.

It freezes at 85% - Copying file C:\..\Adobe81\Font\AdobeSongStd-Light.otf

The C:\..\ would appear to be C:\Program Files\VectorWorks 2008 Viewer\PDF Resources\

To check it was not a corrupt download, I downloaded again and got exactly the same error. The same download worked fine on my Vista installation.

I know its not a physical drive error as the drive was new yesterday but much bigger and it did exactly the same on the old drive when I tried a while back - I was tight on space at that point so thought that was the problem. The new drive was populated with a backup from the old system so, at a push, it could be a bad file system, but that checks out OK with chkdsk.

Totally repeatable but only on this machine. When it happens, clickingopn window I get not responding and notice that CPU is maxed out on the process.

Any suggestions? Can I omit the adobe files?

11 answers to this question

I've scoured the drives/partitions, even looking for hidden and system files and see nothing by that name (or similar ie ins*.txt,ins*.log) either in that directory or any folder on the XP laptop. I even checked for all files created/modified on the date of the installation, again, nothing that may even remotely be an install log file.

Maybe no log file is a clue? I would however be able to send a list of the the files that were installed under the viewer directory tree.

Guest jkelly

Sure, that could be helpful. And just to be sure, you are getting the viewer directly from us, not from a third-party distributor, correct?

As luck would have it, I decided to do one more clean install so that I could document the process. Well, it installed.

The only difference is that, in previous installs, (which were downloadeed direct from NNA over a period of weeks), the download was copied to a NAS box and then copied to both my Vista desktop and XP laptop either via network or via a CD copy of it that I produced as a test. Following an identical (standard) install procedure on vith desktop and laptop, the desktop worked 2/2 times (second time as a check), the laptop failed 3/3 times.

This time, it was downloaded direct to the laptop and run from there. I don't know that this made a difference (it certainly worked fine on my Vista box), but its worked fine now.

Thanks to all for their help.