Massive problem with corrupt files pls help!!!

was working on some plans this morning.... closed the comp for lunch.... went to open after lunch and the file said that it was created using an older version and it wants to change the name. So you do and then it says that it could be mini cad file or has got corrupt. Wasn't sure what to do. Someone mentioned something about temporary files. But it doesnt look good considering the file says that it contains 0kb!!

Pls help!!

I have just had exactly the same problem, only I've just lost my entire final year university project!

Can anyone help recover a corrupt file, autosave was switched to work every 5 min, but I can't find any autosave files. The document is also reading as 0KB.

Please please please help, if I can't get this work back, I'll have to resit 2 years!

am also in final year lost all my final plans!! got a week to rectify. I went to the mac shop and they said if it is reading as zero kb then there is nothing you can do because there is no information at all. The only thing that may work is using diagnostics to try and repair the file but with a file like that it is 99% failure rate. Another option could be if you have temporary files for vectorworks (i didint) it may have saved something before it happened. But i think you may have to redo it sorry for bearer of bad news

Ok. Again, DEEP BREATH. The data is PROBABLY still there, it's just been decoupled from the file database, so there is a reasonably probability that the file(s) can be recovered. (Alex, if the guys at the alleged mac shop did not recommend a file recover program, they're a bunch of idiots.)

Before doing ANYTHING else, go out and buy a boxed copy of Data Rescue II or File Salvage (do NOT download it or you risk overwriting the missing data), and beg, borrow, or steal an external HD to install it on and to copy any recovered files to. In this case, I would recommend Data Rescue II because it comes with an emergency boot CD.

Whatever you do, DO NOT install it on the HD that has the corrupt file or you may overwrite part of the missing data.

If you are not running from the emergency boot CD, install the program on the external drive, launch it and run a comprehensive deep recover scan. This WILL take several hours, depending on the size of your drive.

When it's done, you will be presented with a list of several hundred/thousand files with descriptive names like, "File xxxx", "Picture yyy", "Document zzzz," etc. At which point, you have to go through the list opening up likely candidates until you find the files(s) you're after. (You can skip a lot of files based on file size.)

Good luck.