transfer from VectorWorks to PageMaker

ovrum

How have you been trying to transfer the drawings?

I use a lot of drawings in FrameMaker and use three methods: create an EPS file with VW's export command, create an EPF using Laserwriter (printer driver on Mac) and making a PDF file. None of these give you a file editable in FM, though making an EPS using Export can give you an file editable in some illustration programs. For just placing in a program like PageMaker, the export command gives a smaller EPS file, but there are some bugs. Printing to an EPS file is the most reliable, but the file is larger. PDF gives good compression, but you need Adobe Acrobat or PDFWriter (on the Mac).

Mike Conner

Mike Conner

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried EPS, TIFF, JPEG and PICT, and none of them give adequate definition. PICT works well will straight lines, but complex curves get bit-mapped. Simple curves as ellipses come out OK. So far, I have had to resort to scanning in the drawings in JPEG format, but that is not satisfatory either.

It would be helpful to know what platform, system, and VW version you are running. Since you mention PICT, I guess you are on a Mac. In general, I would think that TIF or JPG from VW would not be the way to go. I've never used them much as they seem to give stuff at screen resolution.

When you say you have trouble with EPS, are the files bad both on screen and printed? The on-screen preview will be of lower quality than the print. Also, are you printing to a Postcript printer? EPS will not work well on a non-Postscript device.I have no trouble importing EPS made from printing to an EPS file through LaserWriter or Adobe PS (into FrameMaker). The preview isn't great, but they print fine on a Postscript printer.

One thing a number of VW users use is Print2Pict, a shareware extension that can give you high resolution Pict and TIf files.

You might also consider asking the question on the VW mailing list if you aren't already a member. It is much better than this forum as it has been around a long time and has a larger user base. Some of the VW enineers also monitor it. You can subscribe at http://PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM/archives/vectorworks-l.html.

" Also, are you printing to a Postcript printer? "

That was it. Thank you. I use a non-PostScript printer for my regular work, as it generally does a good job. I should have realized that I needed a PS printer for EPS files. (By the way, I needed to use the TIFF format in converting and not PICT.)

Thank you for additional information. I will check it out.

(I use a PowerMac upgraded to G3, Mac OS 8.6 and VW 8.5.1.)

I am a member, and I did check with tech support, but they did not catch it.