NNA Help!!!

I have about 15 problems/errors with VW2008

Rather than try and explain them in words I have created a quick screen capture movie for each one and posted them on YOUTUBE.

Problem 01

Cant Bring Up Edit Mode On Roof Then Cant Change Height

Right Click on roof brings up context menu, click edit, context menu disappears, try another few times an eventualy edit mode turns up, change hieght and get message saying roof too complex.

Whole file contains two classes "none" and "dimension", one layer, Objects consist of 4 walls forming a simple rectangle and one "roof"

Problem 02

Cant Change Capitalization of text for Class Names, Layer Names, Object Names and most fields

Problem 03

Cant Join Walls

Have one wall, split it in two, stretch one wall away from the other (shortening) then stretch wall back so it touches end of other wall (lengthing) causes selection highlight to shoot up and down the whole screen

Problem 04

Cant Rotate Objects On All Layers More OIP Problems

Make all layers and classes visible, make all layers same scale, view all as top/Plan, set layer and class options to show/snap/modify all, select all, all objects are selected, rotate 90 degrees, some objects rotate 180 degrees, some dont rotate at all, only around half do as instructed

Problem 05

Edit VP With Class and Layer Visibility Not Working

Change visibility of classes has no effect on VPs, have check obvious things like making sure the classed object has all attributes set to "class type"

Problem 06

Scrolling Menus A Blur When Using Scroll Wheel on Mouse

When using the scroll wheel on the mouse to roll thru layer lists etc even thou the info only moves down one line the whole list spins around like a slot machine.

Problem 07

Selection Handle Dependent on Zoom %

Select objects, OIP is populated, no highlights show on screen, zoom in or out once and highlites show, continue zooming and OIP info unpopulates

Problem 08

Selection Handles Not Showing Intermitently Copy And Paste Then Deselect Then Object Wont Show Until Another Zoom

Problem 09

Unable to Select Dimensions Intermitently

Click on dimension, highlight flashes, OIP doesnt populated, can continue clicking dimension nothing happens in OIP, hav echeck obvious like class/layer visiblities, views etc, I can drag dimensions fine, if i drag dimension across (lenght of dimension) OIP populates until I make a change

Problem 10

Viewport Visibilities No Effect Then VP Disappears

Turn a class in a VP on or off, VP disappears, VP is none class

Problem 11

Viewports and Visibilities Intermitent Then Disappear With Zoom

Problem 12

Wall Renders Not Working Correctly

Change render of a wall to "all" sides and select class texture, only one side renders, click on "right" right side renders, click all again and sometimes all sides of just that wall will render on all sides, select mulitple walls and "all" has no effect

Problem 13

Width of Class Columns

Class names are too long to be visible when opening up class menu on OIP so stretch across, as soon as you exit then re enter you have to perfrom same operation all over again, every time you want to change a class

Problem 14

Windoor Flips Then Deselects Also Any Change to Fields Causes Deselect

Flip a windoor object and object deselects, fli pagain object deselcts, chang width or height or any other field and it deselects

Problem 15

Windoor No Selection and ssslllooowww OIP Generation

Enough sad

Problem 16

Windoor Output Error

Change class i a windoor object and get error

Edited by CS1

@ 01

Some parameters are alternating with others. Also there's the option "Modify Entire Object" at the bottom of the dialog (I'm on the Dutch version, so I'm sorry for not knowing the exact words).

@ 02

Maybe somehow capital and lower character are interpreted as the same. Try to give a temporary name (adding an underscore p.e.) then open and type again ?

@ 03

Happens here, on rare occasions, when dragging a wall causes it to rotate it some minutes off 90?. This results in an L-join that can't be computed. Maybe disable Autojoin Walls ?

I must agree with the other posters : the movies may have taken you quite some time and effort, but as clear as things will seem to you - they're blurry and vague to me.

Thank you for taking the time to publish the YouTube results of your thorough investigations. Pointing out errors & inconsistencies is beneficial to the entire User community.

On the other hand less knowledgeable or even potential Users may get the wrong impression from your limited "error" presentations. Programming CAD with VW requires considerable experience and expertise ... errors in the initial starting conditions can create all manner of weirdness later on down the line. Even a simple thing like different Layer scales or differing 2d-3d views will nullify many common procedures & constraint potentials.

In reality the vast major of problems encountered are the direct result of our own screw-ups and/or limitations within our hardware / software set-ups. Ideally, using a simple file structure to hi-light simple problems is superior to showing-off a "complex" file where even the most experienced viewers are unable to make out the details of the set-up. Of course, the complexity of the file structure may hint at the complexity of untangling the underlying issues.

In the future please try to condense your presentation down to minimalist basics for those YouTubers eager to benefit from your experience with VW2008.

All of the errors that you presented here, appears more lack of understanding how the program works, if we can have more information of your problems as said islandmon the better.

I think, also that's a bad thing to call it VW errors, since they are mostly user errors!

Thanks for the feedback.

I am trying to keep an open mind about all the problems and I agree its always possible that problems can be just user errors. For example I can see that it is possible for say errors: 04, 05, 10, 12, 16 could quite easily be user errors.

(If someone could give me an example for one of the above it would greatly appreciated).

But as for errors: 01, 02, 03, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11, 13, 14, 16 I dont see how they can be brought on by user input. (I would welcome an example of how these could be user errors, say 07 and 09).

I have no experience in programing but I have been using CAD software for around 10 years, VW11.5 since it first came out and VW2008 since its release. I have also asked some associates to look at these issues and they were unable to see any obvious user errors.

My apoligize for the use of the word "error" as I know that is not an accurate term in all cases. And as far as using the name "vectorworks" in the title of the errors, this is just for easy reference for me, eg if I get a "send and recieve error" with outlook express, I save it with the word "outlook" in the title.

The screen videos appear clear on my machine but it seems YOUTUBE limits the image quality upon upload and there doesnt seem to be any options to increase the quality.

Edited by CS1

Problem 12

Wall Renders Not Working Correctly

Change render of a wall to "all" sides and select class texture, only one side renders, click on "right" right side renders, click all again and sometimes all sides of just that wall will render on all sides, select mulitple walls and "all" has no effect

Problem 13

Width of Class Columns

Class names are too long to be visible when opening up class menu on OIP so stretch across, as soon as you exit then re enter you have to perfrom same operation all over again, every time you want to change a class

Problem 14

Windoor Flips Then Deselects Also Any Change to Fields Causes Deselect

Flip a windoor object and object deselects, fli pagain object deselcts, chang width or height or any other field and it deselects

Problem 16

Windoor Output Error

Change class i a windoor object and get error

Problem 17

Wall Texture and fill disappears with length change

I have several walls of various lengths, all have the same texture applied via "class texture". Every now and then I reduce the length of a wall and the fill and texture disappear leaving only the highlight selection indication, I can then increase the length again and the texture reappears.

Edited by CS1

Good morning (or indeed evening) CS1

Problem 1 : The Edit mode will come up with a click on one of the blue selection handles. What you are editing then is the properties of that roof face. If you change the bearing height of one face then things are indeed illogical. Select "Entire roof" and it'll do what you want.

Problem 2 : Capitalization : Not repeatable on my system. I don't deny it's happening, just not to me.

Problem 3 : Wall joining : Not repeatable on my system

Problem 4 : Weird rotations : Not repeatable on my system

Problem 5 : Viewport class visibilities : Couldn't quite follow you here. To change the visibility of a class in a vp I would select the vp and click on the classes button in the OIP.

Problem 6 : Scroll wheel fruit machine : Not repeatable on my system

Problem 7 : Selections deselecting : The highlighting bit I recognise - VW pulses the highlight normally but only if it thinks it has time to. If you select a group and the highlight pulse is low it doesn't look as if it's selected. A single object selection gets you control handles as well so this only occurs with multiple object selection. I can't get mine to deselect though, and I use an Apple mighty mouse which has a hair trigger. Could be that your mouse has a function for pressing down the scroll wheel (AKA button 3) and thats programmed to do something else. On a Mac you can turn that off.

Problem 8 : Selection handles : Not repeatable on my system

Problem 9 : Dimension selection : Not repeatable on my system

Problem 10 : VP vanishing : Not repeatable on my system

Problem 11 : VP again : Not repeatable on my system

Problem 12 : Wall renders : Not repeatable on my system

Problem 13 : Class columns : Mine stay where they are put

Problems 14,15,16 : Windoor issues I think - I don't have it

In summary : you've got a number of problems here that I can't replicate. In other words when I try to do the actions you describe VW works as it should. Perhaps you could post a file that shows a particular problem and I'll try it my end. This is because VW files do get corrupted to the extent that strangeness occurs without causing the program to jump ship. If the file is OK it might well be a workspace issue for some things, too early to tell.

VW does have bugs and some of them turn up in one system and not in others, look at the recent thread on hollowing out an object in the solids modeling part of the forums. Most of these problems are familiar if you've been using it for a while, but a lot of the above I haven't seen before. Not a lot of help I know, but it's a start.

Charlie

Thanks for your time and help.

I can imagine that some people may look at the above errors and think this monkey just doesnt know what hes doing and that would be fare if I always had these problems, but I have been performing the above operations in the past without any difficulty and it has only been in the last month or two that these issues have arisen.

Also a restart of the machine makes about 80% of the problems go away for about 5-10minutes, which would suggest to me that it is machine or program related not necesserly user

Edited by CS1

Problem 18

Fit walls to roof command works then move one wall object say 100mm and then a handfull of wall objects wont work with the fit to roof command, rotate around the objects slightly in openGL and then some will work with the fit to roof command

Have tried deleting walls items that aernt working, copy one that has worked move it slightly and hit fit to roof and no longer works

What am I doing wrong?

Problem 19

Eyedropper Class and Layer Visibilities and Overrides Not Working

I go in to the edit mode of the eyrdropper tool, tick class visibilities, layer visibilities, class overrides and layer overrides. Go to a design layer with one viewport on it, take attributes from the viewport, go to another design layer and with one viewport on it and apply to that viewport. No effect. I have done this in the past fine works great.

Whats going wrong?

Edited by CS1

Have you run a really thorough set of hardware diagnostics?

Do you always launch programs in the same order?

If so, you could have a bad piece of memory that happens to be directly where VW loads. I have seen this with other programs in the past.

I don't know of any Windows memory test programs, but there must be some free ones. Do a google search on Windows Memory Test for a large number. One of the first hits is http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/memorytest.htm

I know this has been going on for a while, so if you have already done this, sorry for butting in.

Pat

Thanks for that Pat, I have tried two other machines and get the same problems so dont think it will be a problem with the hardware on this particular machine.

The three machines that I have tried all have the same operating system (see signature) and dont really use any other programs apart from microsoft office etc.

The only differnce I can think of between these 3 and the old machine I used without problems is that I recieved an update for the "windoor13" plugin that I use from a VW distributor in Austrlia. To rule out the possibilty of this update being the cause I have attached the 4 files that were involved with the update. Dont know if anyone can tell from these if there is a fault or not?

Edited by CS1

Last idea, then I will drop out.

Have you tried a different install disk? If you have a bad install disk, it could put the same problems on multiple machines.

You seem to have tried everything else, and are still having problems that "no one" else is having. It has to be something with what you have.

Pat

I hear what you are saying, I believe the install disk to be fine as havnt had problems up until about a couple of months ago, maybe the post #103562 (2 above) may shed some light? I must have been typing it at the same time you were posting above.

Edited by CS1

It's got to be software related, clearly. Does it still happen with a clean install (delete the whole app, all prefs etc. install with no windoor) in a clean file - standard workspace, no templates?

A restart cures things for a short time - are you using the autosave feature? If so, turn it off entirely as it has given problems in the past.

Charlie