Mac Animation - out of memory!!!!

Hi

We have just attempted to put together a 30 second 3d walk through of a store we are working on.

The problem is we keep getting out of memory messages only after 15 or so frames of a 10 hour render.

Even when rendering at lowest resolution and lowest frame setting.

This was of a hidden line render of a fairly complex store environment with a fair amount of complex 3d forms, but not overly tricky.

The machine is the latest Quad 2.8 Mac pro with 6gig of ram running VW12.5.3

We have 4 spare ram slots so could load these but don't want to spend a fortune and still have problem.

In the end I had to do in 2 second chunks dumping every thing that could not be seen in the the render and pasting back in when needed. Then we stitched together after in quick time. Looked ok but a little jumpy and a lot more effort than just letting the Mac render over night.

Any thoughts

Ta Phil

Also, I am sure someone will correct me if I am incorrect on this, but I believe that I read that on the PC VW can only access 2Gb Physical RAM, and Mac VW can only access 3Gb. Which means with 6 Gb available, you won't get any benefit from adding more.

Another thought, I don't know who installed the RAM, but there is a very specific sequence to adding RAM, it sounds like you have 2 1 Gb Chips and 2 2Gb Chips. If they are installed correctly the two 1 Gb chips will be together in the first two sequential slots on one of the Memory cards, and the two 2 Gb Chips will be on the other card in the first two sequential slots.

HTH,

ion

Thanks

Checked console log

Get this message

"14/05/2008 10:13:09 [0x0-0x296296].net.nemetschek.VectorWorks[8821] VectorWorks(8821,0xa0994fa0) malloc: *** mmap(size=2097152) failed (error code=12)

14/05/2008 10:13:09 [0x0-0x296296].net.nemetschek.VectorWorks[8821] *** error: can't allocate region

14/05/2008 10:13:09 [0x0-0x296296].net.nemetschek.VectorWorks[8821] *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug"

Checking out what this means - has any one got any ideas???

Full spec for render is-

ANIMATION ALONG A PATH

HIDDEN LINE RENDER

QUICK TIME COMPRESION TYPE - VIDEO ( THOUGH I ALSO TRIED ANIMATION SAME ISSUE )

QUALITY - LEAST

FRAMES PER SECOND - 8

NO KEY FRAMES

DURATION - 2 SECONDS

TIME SCALE - 1

I looked at loads of options but seemed to be out of memory after about 14 frames!!

Any ideas on better compression option

Thanks Phil

Hi

sounds possible

I was watching the activity log as the render was running and the ram activity didn't go much past the mid point ie 3gig

2x1gig in first 2 slots on each board installed by Apple

2x2gig in 2nd 2 slots installed myself

Mac recognises all 6gig so should be ok

Will investigate further if VW only uses 3gig

Hard disc has loads os space

activity monitor showing 45-50gig virtual memory

loads of space on the disk so would assume not an issue

?????????

Ta Phil

Phil,

I would definitely look at the memory installation then. It sounds logical, but I believe it is incorrect, even if the machine is recognizing it. Look at this install document to see what I meant. Again, it may have nothing to do with it, but....

Early 2008 Mac Pro (800MHz)

The article refers to the 2008 800MHz machine, but I verified that the older 667 MHz machines have the same requirements.

HTH,

Ion

Ion,

That is an interesting article. It appears to me that in order to install more memory in addition to the factory install that one must remove the factory memory and reorder it. This would mean that there is a good chance that Phil's memory is not installed properly.

Having said that, I also get random out of memory messages. They do not appear to affect operations however.