Won New Monitor, Now What?

Ok, now I've gone and done it. I've actually won the first Vectorworks promo: a 24" Dell Widescreen Monitor (2408WFP Ultrasharp)....which I have in my possession.

I've always wanted more screen and/or dual monitors but now I believe I'm over my head technically. I suspect my graphics card is under powered and my dual monitor connections are incompatible. I am somewhat out in the sticks where I live so expect to be attempting this installation/renovation on-line.

I currently use a Sony 19 flat screen monitor (don't know why it says CRT below)and would like to use both in tandem as dual monitors. My current port that is available for additional monitors is the Apple port so I suspect I will need an adapter to connect (see attchment).

I've been to Dell's site (not real easy) and nvidia's site but I'm having trouble sorting out the terminology.

So is there anyone out there who could assist me with suggestions for graphic cards, adapters and/or methods to set this up? Or is this one of those "can't get there from here" scenarios? I know that now my hardware is the minimum recommended for VW2008 so will this new big screen bog down my already slow machine. ?

Thanks, Bradley

MY MACHINE: Power Mac G4 Mirrored Doors

ABOUT THIS MAC:

CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)

Number Of CPUs: 2

CPU Speed: 867 MHz

L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB

L3 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB

Memory: 1.75 GB

Bus Speed: 133 MHz

Boot ROM Version: 4.4.8f2

GRAPHICS CARD: nVidia Geforce4 MX

Type: display

Bus: AGP

Slot: SLOT-1

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0172

Revision ID: 0x00a5

ROM Revision: 1121

Display:

Type: display

Display Type: CRT

VRAM (In Use): 32 MB

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Depth: 32-bit Color

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

NVDA,Display-A:

SYSTEM MEMORY

DIMM0/J21:

Size: 256 MB

Type: DDR SDRAM

Speed: PC2100U-25330

DIMM1/J22:

Size: 512 MB

DIMM2/J23:

DIMM3/J20:

Speed: PC2600U-30330

I believe you just need a dvi to dvi cable. Might have even come with the display? I had 2 monitors on an even older G4 with an ATI card and it worked fine for a 20" and 22" dell monitors. The monitors have both DVI and AGP connections, and the pict looks like a DVI, so DVI to DVI will do it.

You've got the possibility to have dual monitors with that machine in mirrored or extended mode. You will probably need an ADC-DVI adapter to make use of the second connection on the graphics card. After the second screen is hooked up you will find all in you need in Displays pane of your system preferences.

Indeed, thanks again sig_eigei

Adapters are in the $30 range now.

I am going with a new card to better service the dual (24"Dell-19"Sony) mode...an ATI Radeon 9200. I hope no one's gasping out there.

Seems I could then have 3-4 monitors? Not that I want it.

Eat your heart out Ray...... :grin:

Hope I'm still smiling after installation, though, given this dark cloud on the horizon input lag:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_monitor&thread.id=90311

At first hearing of what I won I was excited but then after a while I thought (given it's a Dell) I should wait for the final installation and see.

No gift horses yet.....

Edited by bc