Lighting Symbols Turn Black

I've just completed a lighting plan for a show, and then needed to transfer the lighting into the rehearsal venue. After I imported the DWG for the rehearsal venue on to a new layer, some of the lighting symbols appear to have a solid black fill. How do I get rid of the fill I've tried editing the symbols and they don't appear to have a fill there??

Any Ideas greatly appreciated

hi adam;

wow, that's a good one. if the symbols look ok prior to the dwg import, then my first suspicion would be the dwg import. i'm guessing that the dwg is importing a class that is somehow the same as a nested object/polygon in your drawing.

try this: open your original non-dwg imported drawing. edit one of the symbols that turned black. keep editing, and, as you double-click on each object to get to the next nested level, see if the class remains the same.

you may not be going "deep" enough in your symbol editing to see the nested class. all of the polygons in SoftSymbols are in the "none" class. but if an imported dwg had a "none" class that was filled with black, it might achieve the same result as what you're seeing.

hth,

shelley

I would also recommend importing the dwg into an empty file first, making sure it's ok, then save it. I would then copy/paste your plot into the new document. This process may help you trouble shoot, make sure you don't mess up your original file and leave you with a clean import of the venue.

I have learned, over time, to keep a symbol handy that is nothing but a bunch of loci that have my favorite classes (with their attributes) attached. After a DWG import screws up my drawing, importing the special symbol returns my drawing to how I intended it, because the classes then overwrite/update.

Cris

To reinforce and clarify what I posted: the symbol that contains all your classes should be exported as a DWG, then reimport that DWG when you need to fix your classes...

HOWEVER...I have just discovered that this does not give controls over fills and that fills come in the same color as pen for each class. :( So back to Adam's original problem... are the appropriate classes showing a colored fill? What happens if you change that to white or no fill?

I have also run into a problem a couple times where after a DWG import, white fills display as black on screen, but white in the Attributes palette. Haven't figured that one out yet...