VW 2008 on an old G4

We have 2 old Mac G4 towers (PowerMac G4 800 Mhz, 1 GB ram, 64 MB graphics Card).

We are thinking about upgrading to VW2008 from 12.5.x, but would like to know if anyone has 2008 running n a similar machine. We are trying to delay upgrading/replacing the hardware if we can manage it. These station are mainly for production work, with Architect (details, drafting, plans, elevations) and no 3d or rendering.

VW 12.5.x runs, but slow, and really boggs down when redrawing large files with hatches.

Ideally the computers should be donated, and we should get 2 new Mac Pros or iMacs, but the boss does not want to drop that change down now, but wants me to get VW 2008.

Any thoughts on how slow they might be? Is there a noticeable difference between 12.5.x and 2008?

Thanks for any insight...

Spinner

I suspect your boss will have to upgrade the hardware - it sounds like the new computers will pay for themselves in time saving anyway.

If you have any archived files though, don't be too hasty in donating the old Macs. The new ones don't support OS9 for instance, so it might be useful to keep at least one oldie for retrieval purposes.

I run VW 2008 on an 800 mhz G4 with 768 megs of SDRAM (!) OS 10.4.11 quite well, actually, to the point where I'm dragging my feet with plans to install the new 17" MacBook Pro in its place. I design in 3D and render projects in Custom Render without a hitch.

I'm on a "Mirrored Door" G4..Dual 1 GHZ PPC with 2GB Ram....been running 2008 secondary, to get used to it and see how it does. All in all, it's fine but, I have to say, at times it does feel a bit sluggish (just slightly) compared to 11.5 (yes, still on this). It is a great upgrade though and, in all likelihood, I'll be moving over to it full time soon. Who knows, I might just have to splurge on a new system soon. Good luck.