Buttons Black out

Many times ( I mean a LOT ) I am drawing using objects and will add a solid fill of some shade of gray, and suddenly any command buttons at the bottom of the drawing window and tools on the drawing window top bar have faces turn on black background, thereby making the buttons nearly invisible as they use black text.

This can be corrected by closing and re-opening the drawing, but usually happens again soon thereafter. Looking for tips or methods to eliminate this problem, or at least info as to the cause.

Win98 VW 8.5.2 on Intel PII 450 w/128mb Ram

and 8mb ATI Graphics card-pci

I think ATI may have some newer drivers than the ones you probably have which corrects this problem. Seems to me that we used to hear about the problem quite a bit, but we haven't lately.

• 9 months later...

quote:

Originally posted by Caleb Strockbine:

I think ATI may have some newer drivers than the ones you probably have which corrects this problem. Seems to me that we used to hear about the problem quite a bit, but we haven't lately.

I have been trying to fix this problem for someone, however I do not know what "ATI" is. Could someone please offer more detailed instructions to stop the blackness smile.gif Thanks.

------------------

Japh

Not a user, just support

ATI is a Canadian graphics card manufacturer. You can find them at www.ati.com

It will probably be helpful to see what chipset your video card is based on. To do this in windows you will need to look under display adapters in the device manager. On a Mac you would run the Apple System profiler, then go to the device tab, and look at the display settings. For some reason OEM ATI products are frequently identified as ATY instead. However in 99% of cards the reference drivers from the ATI website will work for the corresponding OEM model.

Matthew Giampapa

Technical Support

Well I hate to say this but this was a recurrent problem with 8.5.2 that NNA was never able to diagnose. I even tried a new graphics card. I began with a 3dfx 16mb card and switched to a 3dlabs 32mb card. Win 98se, 600 mhz. I tried turning down the video acceleration, updating drivers etc. Nothing worked. The only solution has been to update to 9.01. Unfortunately you get a whole slew of new problems to battle, some of which are more difficult than radio buttons turning black. Depending on whether 9.5 actually fixes current code conflicts, you might consider upgrading then. Contrary to what NNA may advise, do not install 9.01 with 8.5.2 on the same machine. Weird and suspicious things happen.

I thank you for your replies. Having read several posts about the negative experiences others have had from various flavors of the PC Version 9.XX I will just have to get used to black buttons. Hopefully future updates will prove more dependable and trustworthy for mission critical projects.

I remain pleased with the overall program, and feel it to be perfectly suited for the kind of drafting I do.

This is the same advice I recieved previously. I at that time did as instructed, obtained the latest driver and installed it. No effect whatsoever. I still get the same corruption of the buttons.

I even occasionally get corrupted screen garbage after a dialog box dissapears. There is no consistency to that error, but it leaves a tidy little 2"x3" (approx.) square with a collection of various Vectorworks button faces.

This applies to windows only: One potential source of black buttons is a resource leak. We fixed some leaks in the 9.0.1 release so use the latest version of VW. One leak was dealing with the editing of text. As you open and close text edit boxes in VW9 you will see the leak.

------------------

Robert McBride

Software Engineer

Nemetschek N.A. Inc

mcbride@nemetschek.net