What happens to items on this wishlist?

CS1

Question

4 answers to this question

Ah, the eternal mysteries of the wishlist...

To be fair to NNA, you're not banging your head against a brick wall here - they do seem to implement the stuff that gets wishlisted most often (within reason). You won't get them to commit to a timetable though. Bear in mind too, that the next .5 release is probably feature complete a long time before it's released.

Normally a change or enhancement (rather than a bug fix) will be done in a feature release. Before VW2008, there were typically two feature releases (i.e. 12.0 and 12.5) between paid upgrades.

With the new VW2008 and 12 month planned development cycle, you will probably have to wait until VW2009 comes out for a new feature release.

If it is something small, it could come out in a service pack, but I would not hold your breath.

They do listen to the suggestions from this list as well as many other sources. Often the things that are requested on the board and the list are not the items that get rated highly by a broader spectrum of users.

Pat

I, too, can attest to NNA's responsiveness to user feedback. The only thing I'm cautious about is that, historically, NNA seem to prefer getting specific requests as opposed to general requests about what we want to achieve with the software.

An example is wall linings. Classed wall components were requested in part to solve the issue of not being able to switch wall linings on and off. The problem is Classed wall components turns out to be a ty way to solve the problem. In a building of moderate complexity you end up with a myriad of wall styles simply to deal with minor wall lining differences. This might be an okay solution for Construction BIM, but it's a ty solution for a Design BIM/CAD. (It's also not helped by a subpar wall component join system but that's another story).

A better scenario would have been a request from users to implement an easy-to-use wall lining system and then let NNA go away and come up with a good overall solution. Of course this relies on NNA having the creative talent and a good understanding of what the user wants, but I'm sure this is well within their capabilities.