Light render/layer problem?

CraigCTC

I'm working on a project of creating a full 3D drawing of a theater for designers to use as a template. I have multiple layers in the drawing - mixed 2D and 3D layers. The 2D is there if a designer does not desire to utilize the 3D light rendering.

There are two 3D layers - one of the architecture of the space, the second being the extruded lighting positions. I tried to test the placement of a light on a lighting position (in the lighting position layer) in the FOH. I set a focus point, turned the light on, put both theater layer and lighting position layer into a perspective and did a final quality render. Result = no light. I even made sure to put the c-clamp of the light slightly below the pipe so that the pipe did not block the light.

Do the lights need to be on the same layer that I'm "projecting" onto? - the "Architecture" layer?

Any ideas?

shouldn't need to. Even after placing the light, the default will be for the light to be "off." Right click on the light itself, you will see an option to edit the light. This will open up a typical light edit dialog box. Switch the light to on, and you'll be good.

Ok. So for anyone who has been following this thread (also posted in Spotlight area). I found a very simple and obvious solution to the problem.... just use viewports. It actually makes it easier to just switch to the viewport instead of telling each layer you want what to do and then render. I created a viewport labeled "render" and put the light, positions, and theatre (all 3D) into that viewport. Selected "update all viewports", the viewport rendered, and the light was visible on the stage.

You can also link the layers you want to view. But that locks the layers and doesn't allow for changes. So viewports look to be the best option to view rendered light coming from a different source layer.