Vegetation line

I am working in a large file and need to create a clouded vegetation line to represent an existing mass of trees. I created a group of overlapping circles, selected them all and attempted unsuccessfully several times to use the "Vegetation Line" command. Every time I try to do this, i am prompted with an error message that reads: "ERROR Maximum number of points placed. Increase the maximum and minimum radius values and try again for a better result." No matter how many times i try to re enter the values, I am confounded by the same message. I am also confused by the scale of the values. If i am trying to create billows that represent a tree line, which might vary in scale from 20'-50'in diameter, why am i prompted to enter inch values? What is the scale that these values relate to?

I have nevery actually measured the circles, but the dimensions are, I believe in paper scale. They represent the min and max circle sizes to create the balloons.

Depending on the accuracy that you need, there is a quick way of achieving a simple balloon vegetation line as per the attachments.

Create a single rectangle with width of the extent of the planting line. Then create a dummy object within, ie a circle. Select both of these then create the balloon vegetation line from that. In my example, I used 20mm and 40mm for the billow sizes, the billow height remains at the default in this example.You can see the effect on a 20m length. You can then cut the polygons in two, possibly having to combine them together if the cut creates more than one poly. Some experimentation is needed to match the size of the rectangle needed to achieve the correct extent of the planting.

If you add a billow to circles, which I think is what you are doing, then you are effectively adding circles to circles. If you need a more irregular veg line with a non linear edge, you could use multiple smaller rectangles. I have found that you can get a nice effect with this, especially when overlapping multiple billow lines. See second attachment. Its worth experimenting.

I think the above is what you need to do, converting your circles into rectangles and pick an appropriate min and max size. At 1:50, my attachment used min and max values of 10mm and 30mm, which in old 'units' is about 1/2" and 1 1/4".

Of course, for a more jaggid shape, there is the standard plant line, or of course, massing overlapping plants with the multiple plant placement tools as in final attachment.

Hope these alternative ideas help.

Not quite sure why one image is showing. Attachment billow line 2 is probably the most representative of your problem.

Edited by IanH

I had not considered that. Seems to be useful especially since it allows you to change the billow parameters after placement. But unfortunately, I can't seem to cut it or convert its type so that I can make a billow that has one side missing.

[edit]Ok. I have sussed it now. You need to ungroup the billow cloud to turn it in to a polyline. It can then be cut etc. That makes it a very useful tool.[/edit]

• 1 month later...