Problem with VW11.0.1 in a new computer

xqq1314

Question

I just installed my Vectorworks 11.0.1 in my new computer with Window Vista system.I can't open the promgram any more and it just keeps displaying: "a Vectorworks Dongle could not be found. make sure that the dongle is connected and that all required drivers have been installed. Vectorworks will now quit." I checked the device manager and the light in the dongle. Everyting is working fine.

I reinstalled the vectorworks in my old computer with window xp, then everything was working.

Question: How can I fix the problem in my new computer with window vista?

thanks

5 answers to this question

Typical response. Rather than fix the problem you expect everyone to shell out more money to buy your newer product.

Why can't Nemetschek just fix the problem? All we need is for Vectorworks to see the dongle!

Please help those of us who have been faithful to your product but are unable to afford the newer version. I know I don't have $1400 to spend right now, but I might if I can keep working and I need my cad program to keep working.

This seems to be a problem with the identification of the dongle only. I have vista with the US versions, which do not require a dongle, of VW 11 and 2008 running without a problem. The only thing I had to do so that both versions can run together is install Quicktime 7.2.

As an alternative, I also use VirtualBox with Windows 2000 & XP installed to run old applications but I do not know if the dongle or any other attachments will be recognized by VirtualBox either.

Unfortunately as computers evolve, you can't support every legacy version of applications. You must draw a line at some point.

What NNA do offer is a very generous upgrade route from previous versions even pre 10 versions.

When I bought a Vista PC, I was running 11.5 student edition. Vista broke the application. I was left with the dilemma of either buying another student license (which would have a limited life span as I would cease to be a student within 8 months) or, buy a full commercial copy which would be valid for student and commercial work. I bought the full version.

From now on, the cost to upgrade to the next version is just a fraction (about 25% and even cheaper on 2nd seat licenses) of the full cost which I don't think is at all bad.

Contrast this with Adobe. Whilst I could get some functionality of my Adobe apps under Vista, it was not reliable so, I was forced to upgrade. However, whilst I had many Adobe applications, there was no upgrade path from any of them as they were more than two versions old. So in the end, I had to fork out full price for a whole new set of applications. No upgrade path at all except on one product that was part of a CS3 suite that did not cover my other apps.