improved truss tool

grant_PD

Question

The trusses are difficult to select, and have very cryptic bounding boxes when actually selected.

I also need to be able to adjust the hanging angle of curved trusses (think pick points: pick 1=12" above Z height, pick 2=20" above Z height, etc). I know this flys in the face of the hybrid symbol, that can't be rotated in any axis except the ground plane. Then let me turn off the 2d portion of the hybrid symbol.

8 answers to this question

Grant, i've been moaning about the restriction of rotation possibilities since VW v9 regarding 3D objects and symbols, but so far, NOBODY is listening. i've checked all my drawings for 2D objects hiding somewhere in the symbols that might be upsetting VW to no avail.

But wait, WHY should there be any restriction to the ability to rotate an object of ANY kind Hybrid or otherwise??

This is a CAD Application that is supposed to make all operations in TD easier, not more difficult!!

NNA???

Are you listening???

In theory I guess I understand the restriction. The 2d portion is supposed to represent a hidden line representation of the 3d portion. They must have parallel planes in order to do this. BUT, thinking about it that way.....

In the case of the truss tool, which goes through a huge amount of 3d polygon drawing anyway, why not have the 2d portion simply be a hidden line drawing (converted to lines) of whatever position the truss was at the time. So the process of moving/changing a hybrid truss object would go like this:

1) draw the truss in 3d. Set all parameters in the OIP.

2)When you are happy with it's position, click on the "Update/Generate 2d symbol" button in the OIP. The object will then do a hidden line rendering of the 3d object, and it will become the 2d portion of the hybrid symbol.

3)If you were to change the position of the 3d object in a way such as to make the 2d portion not relate anymore, you would simply need to regenerate the 2d portion. Much like a viewport needs to be updated.

good idea... grant_PD... but why not just generate a stupid jpg or png image of the thing which would also allow for text overlay via OIP .... how hard is that ?

Change the orientation and .. voila' new friggin' jpeg ... instantly created.

Makes a helluva lot more sense than the hybrid flat world restrictions which require double object programming in 2d/3d.

VW needs to start taking better advantage of the existing imaging technologies.

well...and to rock the boat a bit....curved trusses and the like are very much a part of the rock and roll touring show world. Which VW has covered very well if you're a lighting designer. BUT, if you're me here's what I want out of Spotlight:

Standard decking PIO

-a tool that you can use to specify standard size (4x8, 2x8, 12' circle deck, etc) a height that when entered shows up as the standard cross across the deck top with the height entered in a bubble dead center.

-turntables

-uplight units that can accept a focus point

-the ability to create a scenic unit, with a light in it and be able to change it's color from the PIO.

I'm sure there's more if I think about it.

Grant PD, i too understand the need for restrictions regarding hybrids, but, it should have a "Choice" button allocated that allows you to "rotate regardless" of Symbol status. "On" keeps you tied to VW's ideas, "Off" lets you do what you need to. Rotate!!

This would allow users to see where a Hybrid Symbol would end up if rotated and then return it to the allocated position inline with the 2D Hybrid image.

It would also allow me to put a kingpin, axle, gearcase/box, prop shaft at the required operating angle without VW telling me it's not possible with Hybrid objects.

These are rules and regulations that don't usually exist in the real world and they don't belong in the VW world either unless accompanied by a "Get Out" clause!

Edited by AndiACD