How to change text for Plant Tag within the defintion

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have collected together several plant objects which I have created in various different files. Some were created with different fonts and different font sizes. In the new file where I have collected my plants, I would like to edit the symbol definitions to have a consistent text style. If I use the plants, then change the text, it only changes that instance. In effect, I would like to be able select and update the symbols, BEFORE they are used on the drawing. I can edit the graphic and the definition, but not the font.

Is there a way to update the text settings for all the symbols on the Resource Browser (for the current open file)?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Ian

Missed seeing you yesterday at the conference. I was mobbed, on the VW stand, but heard that you were around.

No - the symbols seem to retain the text style that was in force when they were created.

So, if I bring them into a new drawing, they retain their original characterists rather than the current text settings. I can, of course, change the text once I've brought the plant in, but I'm just intrigued now by how I can get inside that symbol definition.

I've tried change symbol attributes but that only changes the usual class graphic attributes... not text. I've tried editing the 2D portion of the symbol and editing text with everything in the symbol selected (when of course the tag isn't showing) but makes no difference.

Not sure it's possible, but I just wondered if there was some way to get at that text attribute which it clearly is storing SOMEWHERE...

Cheers

T

You could write a vectorscript that would go through and change the fonts in all the symbol definitions.

Some of the "Symbols" in VW (like the Title Block) and some of the lighting units in Spotlight are only Symbols in the sense that they are stored in the resource browser. The way they are normally used is just as a way to provide geometry.

In the Title Block, if you have text with the Line Type attributes set to By Class, then the text will take on the current drawing text attributes. If it is set to a manual setting, the text will retain the manual settings.

Could it be the same with the plant symbols?

Pat

Tamsin,

I would probably use a ForEachObject command and run it on each object that is a symbol definiton.

Once you get a handle to the object, Get a handle to the first object in the definition with a FinSymbol command. Step through each object in the symbol checking the type of each object. If it is text, then set the Font, Font Style, Alignment and size as you wish. Then step on to the next object. When there are no more objects in the symbol, exit and go to the next symbol.

If you don't have groups in symbols or nested symbols, this should be enough. If you have either of the above cases, it will have to be a liitle more complicated.

Let me know if you need more help.

Pat