Info on lighting

So I've been using VW 2008 for a while now, and I've gotten real comfortable with using it to create my sets and plot lights. I create most of my Hybrid symbols on my own, and the one thing that I still am uneducated on is the lighting settings in my drawings. I'm fairly good with adding lights with the light tool, and even area and linear lights. The area I am lost on is when I add my symbols, and convert them to Instruments(mostly for the organization and labeling reasons); when I visualize the drawing in OpenGL and I have the layer with the lights selected, everything is very dark. I've played with the Layer Lighting settings, but it doesn't seem right. BTW, I mostly view my 3D in OpenGL. I remember in VW12.5, when I viewed in OpenGL, there was deault lighting that added some depth to the objects. In 2008, it seems that OpenGL doesn't look as good. Are there some suggestions or tips on light and OpenGL settings that some of you can give to help me out.

Keep in mind, I'm good with lighting for Fast Renderworks, I'm looking for info on OpenGl settings and also how to set up my Hybrid Symbols once I convert them to Instruments. Also, any other ideas or tips would be fantastic.

Thanks,

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Scott,

As you stated, VectorWorks has a default lighting scheme so the addition of lighting devices is not necessary, but once a light is placed that default lighting scheme is hidden and only the lighting devices on that layer are used (regardless of if they are turned on or off). Also, OpenGL only renders up to eight lights in a drawing; additional lights have no effect.

This could be the cause of your dark lighting. If you have more the 8 lights in the drawing Open GL will only utilize the first 8.