Quicktime movie converted to DVD compatible format?

I use Mac OSX so I'm out of my comfort zone, but yes it is possible.

I don't know if you're looking for a free solution, but here's one that's not free but it looks easy ($50 USD): Roxio Easy DVD Copy 4

Here's a free Windows/Mac application that's not as easy as the above solution, but I think it can export to a format that you can burn to a DVD, for which you'd need a separate DVD authoring application: MPEG Streamclip

MPEG Streamclip is a powerful high-quality video converter, player, editor for MPEG, QuickTime, transport streams, iPod. And now it is a DivX editor and encoding machine, and even a movie downloader.

You can use MPEG Streamclip to: open and play most movie formats including MPEG files or transport streams; edit them with Cut, Copy, Paste, and Trim; set In/Out points and convert them into muxed or demuxed files, or export them to QuickTime, AVI, DV and MPEG-4 files with more than professional quality, so you can easily import them in a DVD authoring tool, and use them with many other applications or devices.

I've used the Mac version of MPEG Streamclip and it works quite well.

HTH,

Tim

Simon-

I haven't made any fly-throughs with with VW (or any other application for that matter) but it should be pretty straightforward once you figure out which DVD authoring application you want to use. In VW, I'd set the resolution and FPS of your Quicktime exported movie to match your DVD format:

from the Wiki entry on DVD:

...most consumer DVD-Video discs use either 4:3 or anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio MPEG-2 video, stored at a resolution of 720?480 (NTSC) or 720?576 (PAL) at 29.97 or 25 FPS.

Tim

• 6 months later...

I created a walkthrough animation that was about 7 min. long. Then I used the trial version of Roxio MyDVD that came with my Dell to author the DVD. It was very limited on features, but it did work flawlessly on my dvd player! It had a menu, and you just select the 'your text' button to get it to play, just like a normal DVD.