cannot create or change project pref sets in 12.5

gsarch

I have been trying without success to create a customized project prefs set in VW 12,5.1 Mac (2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 Dual, OS X 10.4.11)

Can someone walk me through the procedure? (The VW Architect manual is LESS THAN worthless on this.)

Here's what I've been doing:

From the Finder:

Open VW 12.5 > Plug-ins > VW_Arch > Data

Duplicate "Prefs_Def" folder & rename to "Test Prefs"

Launch VW

From File menu:

Select Preferences > "VA Set Project Prefs ..." in the File menu

Remove "Prefs_05" set

Click Add button

Click Browse button

Navigate to and select (double-click) "Test Prefs" set

Double-click file "VA_Project_Set.txt" in "Test Prefs" folder

at which point, I get the error message:

Your choice is an invalid Preference Set. The

new folder must contain the required

"VA_Project_Set.txt" file.

The same error message appears when I attempt to add the previously "Prefs_05" set back into the list of available project preference sets.

So apparently, I'm not the only person having this problem, so it's a known bug. When can we expect a fix for it?

Now here's what's truly aggravating: the problem is specific to 12.x Mac. I spent the weekend verifying that the problem does NOT occur in the Windows version of 12.x, OR in VWA 10.0, 11.0, 11.5 Mac in either Panther (10.3.9) Tiger (10.4.0, 10.4.2, 10.4.6, 10.4.8, 10.4.9, 10.4.11) or Panther, and occurs on all three Macs I tried it on.

The problem is NOT permissions-related: it occurs for every possible combination of file and folder permissions for Owner, Group, and Guest. It is also NOT due to a third-party sw conflict, since it occurs on a fresh system installation consisting of ONLY the default Tiger Retail installation and VW Fundamentals+Architect.

This problem has been fixed in 2008. If you're still using 12.5.3, you can manually add a preference set. Open the following file:

[VectorWorks]/Plug-Ins/VW_Arch/Data/VA2_Preference_Set_Paths.txt

Here is the default contents of that file:

** VectorWorks ARCHITECT **

VA Defaults [%plug-ins%]\VW_Arch\Data\Prefs_Def\

Prefs_01 [%plug-ins%]\VW_Arch\Data\Prefs_01\

Prefs_02 [%plug-ins%]\VW_Arch\Data\Prefs_02\

Prefs_03 [%plug-ins%]\VW_Arch\Data\Prefs_03\

Prefs_04 [%plug-ins%]\VW_Arch\Data\Prefs_04\

Prefs_05 [%plug-ins%]\VW_Arch\Data\Prefs_05\

You can add, delete, and edit items as you please in this file. But here are some things that you have to observe:

* Do not edit the first line.

* On the second line, enter the total number of items that follow.

* When defining a pref set, the first column is the name, and the second column is the path.

* The path can be an absolute path (such as /Applications/VectorWorks/Plug-Ins/...) or a relative path.

* Relative paths have to use Windows sub-folder delimiters ("\") instead of Mac ("/"), even if you're on a Mac.

* Relative paths can start with "[%plug-ins%]", which denotes relative to the plug-ins folder, or "[%VW%]", which denotes relative to the VectorWorks root folder.

When you're done, save the file to:

/Users/[YourUserName]/Library/Application Support/VectorWorks/12/Plug-ins/VW_Arch/Data/VA2_Preference_Set_Paths.txt

Then the edited pref names and paths will show up.

I don't know what to say about Ramon's problem, with finishes not showing up properly.

All of that having been said, I'm now seeing Ramon's problem, and a number of other problems, for which there appears to be no work-around.

The best that I could come up with is a document script that can be used to clear the preference set selection within the document. This will get you back to using the default preference set, and you'll see finishes in the Assign Room Finishes dialog.

procedure main;
var
h :handle;
begin
h := GetObject('NNA_PrefSetPointer');
if h <> nil then DelObject(h);
end;
run(main);

If you don't know how to create and run document scripts, just say so, and I'll provide more detail.

Problems that remain include the fact that no matter what I do, editing finishes doesn't work -- the edits never get committed to the Room Finish Library.txt file. This file can be manually edited, with TextEdit, but not with the VW dialog. And, of course, running VA Set Project Prefs just screws things up again. So you can't switch preference sets.

Ramon -- I think it's time that you step on up to 2008... :)