Extrude Along Path rendering in Open GL

Michael,

This has happened to me more than once; I don't know the direct cause but the rogue surfaces (the two or more than have appeared to the left of the extrude) will have something to do with the way you created the path object for the extrude along path. I seem to remember that there was a thread on the rendering part of the forms about a similar problem with sills and walls. I haven't found a direct cure other than recreating the object; extract the profile (double click on the object, select "profile" from the dialog, copy the profile, exit the edit, paste it. Then redraw the path rather than copying the old one and try again.

Occasionally you can convert the object to generic solids and the problem goes away, or at least you can remove the rogue surfaces with a solid subtraction. (Duplicate the object and try it on a copy as the object will loose it's history) As you have it at the moment the surfaces are unselectable and only appear under GL rendering.

In my case when I have managed to isolate the surface (not always possible) they tun out to be related to the history of the object; for instance the split tool used on a 2d profile before extruding. They are always nurbs surfaces and don't appear to be caused by any one operation.

Not a lot of direct help I know but I hope that gets you a little further forward. Perhaps you could copy the object into another file, check it's still misbehaving (in my experience it will be) and email it to bugsubmit as a bug it undoubtedly is.

Charlie

Charlie

Thanks for your thoughts. I've also had that experience, with 3D objects of complicated history.

So I actually went back and remade this one (before my first post). It's a pretty simple polygon extruded along an arc. And I split it off from the rest of the object so the front of the balcony is a separate object from the rest of the drawing.

This is interesting: (to me at least) the same issue shows up in a hidden line rendering. So whatever is going on, it isn't confined to Open GL.

Michael

Old Problem - been in to Tech ( Ernest as contact given ) last year Nov already. They know about it - Nothing done yet as par all other 3D problems. I just do Fast Render - it is more persistent. You will see it very much as a problem if you do transparencies in VW with OPENGL. Not in V12.5

As with all shortcomings in VW 13 you will have to eat it as they cannot smooth out VW 13.

Just accept it - as 5 year lagging behind other CAD's with inability to sort the mess out.