Export to Sketchup

sbc

i have exported a vectorworks 3d drawing into sketchup.everything looks great,except that it is rotated on a completely different plane in sketchup.i am unable to make any changes to it in sketchup b/c it is not on the right plane anymore.and im having trouble rotating it to get it right.any suggestions?thanks so much

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to understand the export to SketchUp process. Someone else posted awhile back asking the same thing but got no response, to wit:

(Post97761: "I am attempting to export a VW2008 model to SketchUp and I'm not sure the best way to do this. I tried to export as a .3ds but then all the surfaces are drawn triangulated and there is a tremendous amount of cleanup especially around the window frames. The model also doesn't import in scale. I then tried to export as a .dwg and import that file into SketchUp, and everything looks okay and to scale, but I lose the windows and doors (the openings are there, but the frames are missing). Is there an easier way to do this?"

I understand the comments on this thread, but I'm encountering the same issue of triangulation. How does one go about exporting so that the model has real faces with which the client can try there own hand at visualizing different wall finishes?

(The User Guide is worthless for educating me on the process!)

Thanks!

As noted ...Hybrid Parametrics Objects are problematic as surfaces are tessellated to conform with the triangulated mesh requirements based on the objects edge-frequency resolution.

Inherently, VW parametric objects are more internally sophisticated than Sketch-up export objects. Export requires a "dumbing" down... hence the algorithmic 3d mesh conversion issues.

VW can utilize both Page & World Scale .. whereas DXF/DWG and Sketch-up prefer World Scale.

Unfortunately, I'm no expert in any of this ... there may be a way around these basic problems. Better informed Users can point the way ..

That's good stuff, islandmon. What does it mean?

Actually, I kind of followed that. Now, having read some of your posts these last six years I've been using the Forums, I know you're fairly sophisticated in all things VW (in other words, you really ARE an expert). So maybe I should ask you, what do YOU do to export a model that is user-friendly outside of the VW world?

I'm trying to understand the export to SketchUp process. Someone else posted awhile back asking the same thing but got no response, to wit:

(Post97761: "I am attempting to export a VW2008 model to SketchUp and I'm not sure the best way to do this. I tried to export as a .3ds but then all the surfaces are drawn triangulated and there is a tremendous amount of cleanup especially around the window frames. The model also doesn't import in scale. I then tried to export as a .dwg and import that file into SketchUp, and everything looks okay and to scale, but I lose the windows and doors (the openings are there, but the frames are missing). Is there an easier way to do this?"

I understand the comments on this thread, but I'm encountering the same issue of triangulation. How does one go about exporting so that the model has real faces with which the client can try there own hand at visualizing different wall finishes?

(The User Guide is worthless for educating me on the process!)

Thanks!

I always use the dwg format when exporting to sketchup and have yet to encounter a similar problem with doors and windows. Have you checked your sketchup layers if any of them are invisible?

Triangulated polygons can easily be solved using sketchup's soften edges feature.

• 2 years later...

I have been trying to use exporting as DWG which works fine until I try to import it to Sketchup.

In Sketchup it just freezes trying to import the DWG document.

It would be nice to have a plugin just to export to Sketchup directly.

---------------

VW 2008 Designer SP3

Mac Pro Dual Cuad Core Xeon 3.5MHZ, 6GB DDR3

OS 10.5.8