Multi views or windows

I find it's a great help for both 2D and 3D work especially when you have a nice large monitor or dual monitors.

DLVP don't cut it because you can't edit your drawing through them, they are not dynamic so you don't see changes without updating them and you can't just click in them and move around changing the view. It ends up being more work than just changing views or using saved views. I'm taking about having multiple dynamic windows or views that can each be clicked into and used to edit your drawing as well as having the ability to show a different view, zoom level, etc. etc.

Now it would be extra cool if each window or view could also have it's own class/layer visibility settings and render mode!

One can dream!

That is how (ahem...choke...) Revit is, and I admit I was really impressed by being able to tile multiple windows with different views that are all active, live, continually updated automatically, and editable. Of course VWks is superior in many other aspects, but this is a major issue.

Whilst it would be nice it would require more computer power. I suspect that many user's computers would not have the grunt to handle all the extra calculations required, nor the graphics card capability required to display them properly. The size of users' monitors and whether they have one or two monitors would also be an issue.

In most programs that have this feature, the user can decide how many "viewports" are displayed. I have never noticed a performance drop with Acad, C4D or others that I have used. Rarely is the entire project displayed in all views. I haven't tried this on my new Mac yet, but my less than "state of the art" PC works just fine.

gh

Edited by G_Hannigan
In most programs that have this feature, the user can decide how many "viewports" are displayed. I have never noticed a performance drop with Acad, C4D or others that I have used. Rarely is the entire project displayed in all views. I haven't tried this on my new Mac yet, but my less than "state of the art" PC works just fine.

gh

Agreed, I've never had a performance issue either (ACAD or 3D Studio) as the idea is that it is user scalable so the user can decide how far to take it.

Whilst it would be nice it would require more computer power. I suspect that many user's computers would not have the grunt to handle all the extra calculations required, nor the graphics card capability required to display them properly. The size of users' monitors and whether they have one or two monitors would also be an issue.

Just like many other features such as rendering, just because there are some users who may not have the computer power to do fast high quality renders with all the bells and whistles turned on doesn't mean we should not include the option to do renderings at all. We wouldn't have many advanced features by that argument.

I used Microstation over 15 years ago on computers with the fraction of the power of current machines and it had no problem opening several windows showing multiple and different views.

We have started in the past a year of so doing more and more of our design work in Vectorworks 3D but the further we go with this the more apparent the limitations of the software become. Without the ability to have multiple live windows we are wasting huge amounts of time flipping between different views checking the impact of a change in plan with the elevation.

This feature has been requested many times but would be at the top of our wishlist .

Eoin R Architect Dublin

VW 2008 Mac OSX 10.4.11

Actually, I hate how Revit handles multiple windows. Switching to a view opens a new window. While working on a project, you'd end up opening a bunch of views. Even more frustrating, Revit would tile windows of all other project files running in the background. Doesn't really make any sense tiling a dozen windows when you really only need two or three views visible at a time.

Ariel

It could be handled the way Cheetah 3d works. Very easy to flick between single window and four windows - side front top iso - (or as many as you like). Bit odd at first but much quicker and easier than constantly shifting the one view around as you draw. Cheetah (as the name suggests) is also a seriously quick renderer and animator and fully uses all the processors all of the time...

It could be handled the way Cheetah 3d works. Very easy to flick between single window and four windows - side front top iso - (or as many as you like). Bit odd at first but much quicker and easier than constantly shifting the one view around as you draw. Cheetah (as the name suggests) is also a seriously quick renderer and animator and fully uses all the processors all of the time...