Export PDF

I have just attempted to export to PDF format a drawing 1.8mb and ended up with a PDF of 21mb. This is after making a new drawing with just the plan from the original master drawing. I suspect my master drawing (all 2d) may be corrupted in some way as it is unbelievably slow especially when working in a group containing the insulation tool? I did download an insulation plug-in Isolzacht or something but have since deleted it from workspace as I thought it may be to blame. At this rate I am going to run out of space on my machine...Any clues

I run VW12.0.1 on 1.6GHz G5 Mac using OSX.

I queried the same thing and by the looks of it, this is a problem that can't be solved. I also have the same problem exporting using the export command within VW BUT if I use CutePDF the file size is drastically reduced. The reason I was given was that VW uses the "true" pdf exporter from Adobe and PDF writers like CutePDF fakes this and isn't true pdf.

My advise is use CutePDF or PDF995 and if you're unhappy with that, then resort to VW PDF export.

My 2 cents.

VW export to PDF 'real' in the sense that all object are object again and must be generated in the PDF file; So that's the reason that the PDF file get's huge.

If you print to PDF (with CutePDF or ohter) then the PDF is actually an image and that's the reason its much smaller.

The difference is also that exporting can give you layers if you want to but printing not.

So Maybe there needs to be an options in VW that you can choose to export to PDF as an image of real?

In that case, i would also include an option to only export the images and image fills as compressed images so that the other objects keep their vectorial intelligence.

BTW: mac has an in-build PDF creator (in the printdialog) that prints your pages to PDF's. I use that on if i have images in my drawing.

It would also be interesting to know exactly what version of PDF is being produced.

I have files that loose images and text when opened with the full version of Acrobat 6 for the Mac, but that open fine in Adobe Reader 8 and in Preview (Mac).

I have a client who sends out PDFs to a print shop and they have to manually convert them to TIFFs to print. My guess in both these cases is that the PDFs are either V7 or V8, and are not compatible with the older reader software.

NNA - Can you comment on the Version. Is there a possibility to select the version of PDF to output?

Pat

I too have had some trouble with Reader's inability to open VW PDFs. There are time when I send a PDF to someone but they are unable to open it - they get some kind of font error. I have turned OFF the creation of layers but it doesn't change the problem.

If I open the file in Preview and re-save, it works just fine, so I think that the issue is with VW's creation of the file.

It is possible that the problem is related to PDF version and would love to be able to select an older, more "universal" version.