dimension tool is playing with me...

i simply don't get it. i am working on a detail, wanting to call out a dimension. i select the dimension tool, it is the correct class i want, my classes are all visible as are my layers, i am in "top" view. i select my two points to call out with the dimension tool and have adequate distance away from the drawing. i click the third time to set the dimension and ....voila! nothing. anyone experience that one before?? if i open a new document, the same tool works just fine. dunno what's going on here.

thanks.

i should add that i am getting little red squares at each corner of the line that i am trying to call out...so something is happening, i just have no idea what.

Edited by lineweight

Is your Dimension class visible? Not the one you want the dimensions in, but the one named Dimension? In the Document Preferences, Dimensions Pane, do you have Create Dimensions in dimension class checked?

Do you multiple design layers visible? Are there large filled objects on other design layers? If could be that the dimensions are being drawn on a layer that is behind a filled object. You put them in and then they seem to disappear. Check your Layer Order in the Organization Palette.

Also, check your layer and class options and make sure they are set to at least Show/Snap others and not Active Only.

The red squared indicate that you have gotten a dimension associated with the object.

Pat

It could be due to Stack Layers. Try turning off Stack Layers.

It could be to do with your Dimension Classs settings. Check:

- your dimension class isn't set to invisible.

- your dimension lineweight isn't set to zero thickness.

- your dimension pen colour isn't set to white meaning it isn't visible on your white background (substitute black for white if you use a black background).