Workflow for architectural detailing: need help

I am unsatisfied with the my early attempts at producing and managing architectural details for projects, and don't want to develop bad habits.

I am looking for ideas for managing architectural details in my workflow.

How do you use design and sheet layers, classes and references to produce and manage architectural details?

I'm particularly concerned about details which don't rely on building model data (dumb details).

Thanks,

ben

We keep a library of details filed by type: meaning there is one file for footing/foundation details, another for exterior, yet another for doors and windows, etc. Each detail is drawn on its own design layer at about the scale we would expect to use it.

Then, as a drawing set is developed, these detail layers are Work Group Referenced (WGR) "in". The link is then broken so the detail can be customized to fit the situation AND so future changes to the library aren't referenced back to "old" drawings.

Generally, as details are developed for new situations, they are added to the appropriate library file.

HTH,

We reference in 1:50 sections (or plans) into a new file, viewport the area we want to detail and then trace over the 1:50s to create our details. We can then update the reference if the 1:50s change and co-ordinate the details appropriately.

I like Travis' workflow though; we should probably work the same sort of thing into our workflow.

Ideally I rather not have to draw separate details but instead make viewports of our 1:50s and turn on the high detail information. But the way VectorWorks is currently works doesn't make this a straight forward process.

I'm just getting started with VW detailing too. I just finished my first set of CDs.

For "one off" details, I followed Christian's method of creating a section (or other) viewport on a sheet layer and drawing over them in annotation space.

For "standard (dumb)" details, I drew on design layers by scale (1 layer for 1", 1 layer for 1 1/2", 1 layer for 3", etc.) and used a sheet grid to arrange details on the drawing sheet. This worked OK until I needed more than one sheet of details - then I needed more than one design layer for each scale.

Next time around, I'm thinking that I'll make each detail a symbol so that I can easily drop it onto a sheet anywhere it needs to go. I'll edit it using the Resource Browser. As a symbol, I'll also be able to easily push it to a standard details file and/or pull it into another drawing by using the Resource Browser.

I haven't tried this yet but I assume that I'll need to scale the symbol if I place it straight onto a sheet layer.

The only other thing I haven't completely figured out yet is how I should handle drawing labels. If I include them with the symbol, I'll need to edit the symbol to change the detail number. If I place them on the sheet layer, I'll need to fill out the title and scale every time I drop the symbol onto a sheet layer. OR I could keep the title with the symbol but leave the number blank and then drop a number onto the title in the sheet layer.

For "one off" details, I followed Christian's method of creating a section (or other) viewport on a sheet layer and drawing over them in annotation space.

We don't generally draw them in the Viewport Annotation Bill. We draw them on a Design Layer, by tracing over a Design Layer Viewport of the 1:50.

Travis,

How do you organize the details relative to classes and layers in the final drawing file?

How do you present them on sheet layers and where do you annotate them...in a viewport or on a design layer?

Thanks,

ben

We keep a library of details filed by type: meaning there is one file for footing/foundation details, another for exterior, yet another for doors and windows, etc. Each detail is drawn on its own design layer at about the scale we would expect to use it.

Then, as a drawing set is developed, these detail layers are Work Group Referenced (WGR) "in". The link is then broken so the detail can be customized to fit the situation AND so future changes to the library aren't referenced back to "old" drawings.

Generally, as details are developed for new situations, they are added to the appropriate library file.

HTH,

How do you organize the details relative to classes and layers in the final drawing file?

How do you present them on sheet layers and where do you annotate them...in a viewport or on a design layer?

We have a whole set of Detail- classes that are used only for details. (e.g. Detail-Conc-ReBar; Detail-Conc-Section; etc.) This way, whenever details are WGR'd in, there's no conflict with other classes. Also, Hatches can be customized for detail-sized use. Just be sure to use unique Hatch names, as well.

Since the broken-link WGR layers are already on their own design layer, we would generally finish the annotations there. This, however, is the only time we annotate on DLs. And there are at least two benefits: 1) If a detail is modified enough to warrant adding back into the library file, all of the relevant info is in one place; and 2) on larger projects, when multiple individuals are working together, one draftsman can be compiling the details ? on DLs ? which can then be WGR'd into the master "print set" file.

Finally, the DL-based details are VP'd onto sheets. Scale and cropping is adjusted, if required (we're kind of partial to neat rows and columns of more-or-less uniformly-sized details on a sheet).

Good luck,

Hey, how do you create a "Design Layer SECTION Viewport?"

It was said above that this can't be done. Well, actually you can although it might be considered illegal in certain states. To create a Design Layer SECTION Viewport or the EQUIVALENT OF, make your Section Viewport and place it on a new Sheet. Go back to your Navigation palette or the menu bar and create a new class called Hide the Section Viewport. Go back to your sheet, select the viewport (your drawing) and send it via the OIP into this class. It is still visible because you've not yet messed with visibilities. Draw over your section viewport directly onto the sheet and when done, make the Hide class invisible. If the section changes, make it visible, update it and redraw over it. I tell ya, it's CRAZY!!

Edited by tguy

I don't understand why one would draw over a section VP on a Sheet Layer. That just doesn't make any sense. It would not be scale line-work.

But the fact is many times the Section VP's of a 3D model are just not adequate, issues such as the location of the window sash in the wall not being in the right place, areas behind window trim creating voids in the wall when you cut a section through it. And not being able to "work" or continue to select, move, change, or add objects in Section view can be a big pain. Section VP's are great, but we need to be able to work in section, not just witness the results of our modeling.

I have used two methods that seem to be best for dealing with this:

1). Create the Section VP on a Sheet, then trace it in Annotation space, Copy this 2D line-work, Exit Annotation, then Paste into a Design Layer for further editing/detailing. Then create a VP of this back onto the Sheet Layer for the final drawing. (Sometimes keeping the Section VP of the model stacked behind it to show objects beyond the section plane, etc.)

2). Use the old 2D Section tool to get the basic line work on a Design Layer, then go from there.

Does any one have a better method for quickly getting section info into a Design Layer for detailing?

Edited by gmm18

The other option you did not list [but that still gives an unlinked 2D section :-( ] is to cut a section viewport and convert it to lines.

The basic step are:

Change the scale of the viewport to 1:1 (yes, it makes it very large, but is also means that it will be to scale when you get it back onto the design layer.)

Update the Viewport

Convert to Group (or is it convert to Polygons?)

Move the Group to a Design Layer (either via cut/paste or in the OIP Layer pulldown.

With this you get the benefits of the cropability of a viewport with the ability to work with just 2D objects like with a Cut 2D Section.

Pat

Quote: "I don't understand why one would draw over a section VP on a Sheet Layer. That just doesn't make any sense. It would not be scale line-work."

I was responding more for the challenge of limits to Section Viewports than anything else--I don't actually use this method. Yet. But it is scalable in the sense that the Section is in scale. And if you want to add scaled items, do it, as you say yourself, in annotations. Not such a weird a process since there is no good alternative. What, you say?--Use Cut 2D and Cut 3D Section and Convert to Lines? We're much too sophisticated for those old tools!

Ok, if you're still reading, try this: draw over your Section Viewport while on the Sheet layer (as I've already described) using just the line weight you prefer for each part and not the one the Section tool has chosen for you. Select all, copy, paste back onto your Details Design Layer. The VP won't come along so don't worry about it. Scale your imported lines up 24 times or 48 times or whatever the multiplier is for the scale of your details layer.

If your section changes down the road--and this is the only reason to go through all this trouble--then redraw and repaste and rescale.

The above ideas are just thoughts, musings, really. All the suggestions in this thread are valid and quite interesting.

Edited by tguy