Another simple question...

Okay, i have another simple question. Basically, i have a nurbs curve and i want to use that curve to trim the edge off a rectangle. The rectangle is extruded at 6 inches. the nurbs curve isn't. How would i trim this? Or split?

Thanks for helping a noob out.

I am having a hard time understanding some basic principles, i think. Nurbs must "subtract" nurbs and boolean must "subtract" booleans, right? So, if i want to trim that nurbs rectangle, i must use another nurbs line or face, yeah?

I can do this function additively, but i need to learn how to do this subtractively. Not trying to be whiney, but i feel the need to remark how easy Rhino is when it comes to these kind of functions...i would love to understand this better in VW.

Edited by lineweight

I was able to take an extruded rectangle and use the Project Tool in the Project and Split mode to cut the rectangle.

I ended up with a bunch of NURBS surfaces in a group. After I ungrouped them, I was able to delete the ones I didn't want, select the others and Convert to Mesh to get back a 3D object.

Pat

Another way is the extrude edit. Assumes "cutting" plane is normal to working plane.

Cut or copy NURBS curve to clipboard. Dbl click the rectangle extrude to enter the extrude edit. Deselect the rectangle. Paste the NURBS and drag it to position (Paste in Place works if the original extrude is located where it was created). Convert to Polygon command. Use Trim tool to remove unwanted part of rectangle. Select All and Compose. Exit edit. Now the extrude has the shape you want.

-B