Help Needed: Coloured 2D Trees?

Jeff24

Hi everyone,

I've searched the forum, and haven't really been able to find a simple answer to what I'm looking for.

I'm a fairly new VW user, and the same goes for Landmark. I'm creating simple site plans for my company, and I like to insert simple generic 2D trees to 'dress up' the site plans a little. However, upon insertion, the trees are just simply white, and the same goes for when I print the site plan.

Is there an easy way to colour them in green, or some sort of hatching to give them more colour?

I know how in the edit options of the plant, when you click the render the tab, it shows the tree as coloured along with the shadow placement for the tree.

Hopefully my question is clear. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Cipes, how can I do that? When I go to edit the tree, it asks me what to edit: 2D, 3D, plus two more options. None of them seem to show anything.

I assume they are symbols that I am inserting.

I point to this:

Place Plant ---> Preferences ---> Edit Definitions ---> Render Tab ---> check box of Plant Shadows in Plan View - The tree shown here is coloured with a shadow. Is that what is supposed to show up?

This might seem very simple, but I am very perplexed as to why I can't figure out how to insert a coloured tree, OR, colour the trees that I have inserted.

I don't think so, I just place them sporadically around the site, just to give it a better presentation quality, etc.

Should I check the overlapping box?

Edit: I did that, same result. No coloured trees.

Edited by Jeff24

Jeff, When you click "Edit 2d" and get nothing, try using the "fit to objects" button at the top of the VW's window. This ought to put the object (Plant Symbol) in the center of your screen. Once you locate the thing, simply select the polygon(s) that were used to create it, make sure they are set to "Solid" in the Attributes Palette, and then change the color to whatever you like. Here is a quick example that I just did:

Jiminy Christmas, it worked!

Selecting the Polygons within the plant/tree was a little tricky, as some wouldn't change at all, but when I finally grabbed one, I changed it's solid fill to green, and voila, the plants/trees in my site plan are now green. Good enough!

Thank you, Cipes. I appreciate your help.

If mass overlapping plants (in the render tab of the plant definition) is checked you will get exactly the result you are getting now. Try UNCHECKING it and see if the problem goes away.

Also ensure all classes are turned on. If the colour fill is part of an object (still in the plant object) that has a class, and this has its visibility turned off or to grey, you will get the result you have now. If turning all classes on solves the problem you may have to experiment a little to find out what class is the one you need to turn on. If you are using plants from the Plant Object file that comes with Landmark 2008 the class would be 'Plants-Component-Canopy' or "Plants-Component-Colour Fill'

• 11 years later...