help with car turn around

Guest Wes Gardner

At one point there is/was a parking space tool but I don't think that's what your after...you can get the REQUIRED turning radii, etc. from Architectural Graphic Standards.

If you're laying out a parking lot, you MAY in the end want to use polygons (or join a bunch of shapes together to GET a polygon) as you can then query your "model" for area calculations.

You're probably doing the right thing using arcs, then offset to either side to get roadway widths, etc. - I don't think there's a more automated method.

There are no "automatic" VW's tools for doing this, and that is as it should be. Think of the potential liability!!! I usually use (at least) two sources to ensure both code compliance and true (real-life) functionality: 1) Your local planning office's parking and turnaround hand-out (which may need to be supplemented with fire dept. turnaround regulations) and 2) 'Architectural Graphic Standards' by Ramsey & Sleeper which has a good (if basic) section on vehicle access and circulation design.

I also use common sense, and many years of practical experience both as a driver and a designer. One hint I'll give you: if you go with the 'minimum requirement' you will probably end up with a barely usable result.

There are also many other great books out there which are more focused on these types of design requirements. Good Luck!

Rob

There are add-on Vehicle Turning Templates for AutoCad, but none for the Mac.

I have never come across any true "minimum vehicle turning path dimensions", AASHTO, ITE or TAC standards (municipal standards appear to be derived from the national ones) assume vehicles turning at a minimum design speed of 15 km/h (actual operating speeds are higher). How many "Slow to 30 km/h" curves can't be negotiated at 50 km/h or higher!

In attempting to design & build residential roads that are "Liveable for All Users" it was necessary to determine actually minimum standards that would constrain the speed of motorized vehicles to the "Design Speed" to attempt to increase the safety for non-vehicular users. Attached is file "LFR SU9.pdf" that shows the actual minimum turning dimensions of a particular vehicle.

I have created symbols of various other vehicle turning paths & use them to check my designs.