More Power

Jershaun

Question

14 answers to this question

Space Claim, Huh?

Now, that's what i call a 3D CAD modeling application. It takes me forever to reach certain aspects of modeled compound curves, fillets(most of which VW refused to accommodate me with) and this App spits them out as if they were melon seeds.

Not to mention it's very savvy dimensioning tool.

When i need to place the dimensions of a boss or cylindrical item i have to superimpose a 2D circle in place over the 3D model, add the dimension and then delete the circle. :(

i use an old Version of VW, but non of those i've tried since have caught up with anything like Space Claim.

Nemetschek are you listening?

Kaare,

i use the Mechanical VW and i would also really appreciate a "sole" mechanical version without all the architectural background underlaying the Mech. tools. Some users may value the possible use of building drawing tools when they need to redesign the kitchen or living quarters but i would like all the superfluous stuff in the Mech. incarnation to be dumped in favour of a leaner meaner and above all faster more suitable app that is created specifically for Mechanical Design.

Edited by AndiACD

Rather SolidWorks - They are leaders now - and they do listen to users.

At NNA it will not happen - it is as they think and live in their own circle of operation nevermind what is happening in the real world. Slapping each other on the shoulder for a small included feature that is already old news and forgotten news at other CAD's. Goodness gracious.

For example - Opacity - something that comes down the lane from early 2000 end before - even TC had it then and it is at that time much more advanced than the current VW 2008 version of it, and so simple and easy to apply - click, select and do it in one colour, or a mix of colours, decide from where it will shade, center to out, out to centre, left to right etc same as the MS pallette.

With VW 2008 - wow - it was one heck of a celebration point - just shows the power of ad department - dead and old tech as something new ????!!! Only at VW.

The moment you get out of VW and looks around you will be astounded how far back VW are in relation to others - cheaper CAD's does the same and more than VW nowadays.

VW needs a decent and thorough overall in their objectives and role to play and in reaching it in one single jump to VW 14. And a heck of a lot of financial and brain injections.

They are lagging - only with the BIM to BOMB startegy they take when and if it will work 100% functionally which I doubts and will takes another decade to get it somehow to somewhere working well to be a productive unit will they survive. But in the meantime the basic and strategic tools gets no attention that fits the bread on the table. That counts in the real world - the bread on the table.

And VW loses it there - totally with the low end series of the SOLID++ engine and the lot. Upgrade to the most powerfull version of SOLID++ engine at least.

All success to their hope and survival - the Japanese market - untill they also gets down to the truth behind VW.

Solidworks is OK - I've used both that and VW - but I prefer drawing in VW. There's something about the way you have to work in SW that is restrictive. Mind you I've only used SW2008 and apparently it's been a bit of a retrograde step from 2007.

The solid engine is however vastly more stable. Some of that is that SW restricts the initial sketching so that problems don't arise later on and it could be argued that VW is more capable in a wider sense that SW but it's something of a relief that you very rarely get "operation failed" messages with SW.

Spaceclaim looks as though it's working in a very similar way to SW2008 but with more freedom to draw (less of the part/assembly business) and similar speed; much quicker than VW. Difficult not to drool whilst watching that vid.

What you want from the application will decide how good you think it is. I use VW for a bit of everything; mapping, machine design, building design and it's that flexibility that puts it above anything else. If you've got the money (lots) then dedicated packages for each bit would get you better results but VW will do all things to a reasonably high standard. Maps & SW don't go, steel portal frame buildings in Spaceclaim would be wrong but VW will do both.

VW needs precisely what this thread is titled. More power. But also More Stability. If all the tools worked all the time we would be getting somewhere but the lack of pace needs to be addressed too. VW is still a single processor app (apart from bits of RW) and that is barking. If SW and Spaceclaim can be as swift as they are why can't VW? And this is clb's point - get a better solids engine.

Charlie

i'm still using VW 11.5.1 for the very reason you stated. i've got a multi processor machine i've had a few years now and VW still doesn't seem to make use of it and i upgraded to 11.5 because i upgraded my machine and was told it would match, or did i miss something somewhere along the line?

AndiACD

Lots of advances since 11.5. If you do decide to go for the upgrade go all the way to 2008 as it's a definite improvement over 12.5.3. I see you're mostly mech design and if that's the case what about Solidworks running through Parallels? It is better than VW for that sort of thing and if you don't need Photoworks (their version of RW) the price isn't totally abhorrent. You do have to live with the SW workflow though which drives me bananas. For instance this morning I've been drawing a rotor with a number of tines arranged in a helix along the length. Dead simple couple of clicks in VW but over 10 minutes in SW - but in SW I can do a pretty picture of the stresses & deformation using cosmos lite (built in FEA-like analysis). No such joy in VW.

This is what drives me nuts too! The basic ability to return to a model and edit it in VW has been what's kept me hoping and staying with it. But some things are easy others are impossible and the fact that after working for a while on an edit VW just decides it no longer wants to play and simply refuses to do what it's been happy with for days.

As for VW2008, i appreciate it may have moved forward but after trying it out for 30 days i still wasn't impressed. i can't remember how many years i've invested in VW and that makes me want to "stick with the devil i know" but operas like Space Claim give me awfully itchy feet!!

:)

I think that VW is on the right track. It just a robust solution that can handle many many things, but you'll have to know the program before succesfully create what you want.

Space Claim may look good, but is it like they show???

I know Sketchup had this really cool videos at the beginning, so everyone thought: what a great program. But after working with it for a couple of months, it seems that it is great for a few things, but it lacks greatly at so many other points. And it is also buggy when it comes to complex forms and shapes.

The point is that you can't rate a program by a video of it. videos are always made that way that is shows only the best features and that it doesn't show bugs.

Although VW can be better and it will be in the future.

DWorks & Mr. Gog

One thing i really need to make clear is i still love VW. i like it because the interface is STILL of a "Drawing" application that mostly acts as you'd expect and not a stylised abstract creators idea of what an application should look like as is the case of so many 3D modelling/animation products grow into. Adobe got it right 1st time with the original Photoshop and anything that maintains that standard is beyond reproach. Most 3D Apps hide everything behind symbols that, although once you have discovered the significance behind the icon is straight forward enough, it's seldom that obvious . . . . the photoshop style GUI in "old hat" Infini-D was authentically simple and straight forward.

i really don't want VW to loose that "Drawing" connection. i've got itchy feet but as yet, i'm not walking out!

:)

Edited by AndiACD