Manipulating classes of window parts

Can anyone enlighten me in the ways of manipulating the classes of window object parts?

The problem: the windows in my walls are in "window" class but the glass/sash seems to be in my "floor plan only" class. When trying to set up my RCP view, I need to turn off the "floor plan only" class but then the glass disappears.

The question: How do I make changes to the class of sub-objects(?) in plug-in windows?

(Note: I noticed that the "view" tab of the window editing window has a "special classes" area that seems to allow the user to change the class of window parts, but it only lists "style-x" classes as options. Is this useful for anything? What is "style-15" anyway?)

Thanks!

They Style-1 to Style-15 classes are the class names that you can use to assign classes to parts of doors and windows. When you assign one of the 15 classes, that class is automatically added to the drawing. You can then go into the Organization Palette and edit the class attributes to vary the attributes of the various parts. You can also turn the visibility of the classes on and off for individual parts.

Would it be better to be able to use different class names? Yes. Has NNA gotten an earful about this before? Yes. Has it changed so far? No.

So use Style 1 to Style 15 or don't change the classes of door and window parts.

Pat

Thanks, Pat, but I'm still confused about how the sash/glass ended up on a different class than the window plug-in in the first place? And why isn't the sash/glass on one of the "style-#" layers?

Actually, my burning question is how can I make the window plug-in and all its parts the same class again?

Guest Wes Gardner

You may have to go to File >> Document Settings >> Standard Naming >> and turn Auto-Classing OFF, then you should be able to place any components in any class you want...

No, Auto-Classing does not do it.

Doors and Windows where written using multiple classes. Unless you use the Style-X stuff, you will get parts of doors/windows in three classes. If you do use the Style-X you will get more.

Doors and Windows use the active class, a class called NonPlot and a class called Sills. The NonPlot class is there to hide objects (such as insertion point loci) that determine how the object cuts the wall or other construction line type stuff. The Sills class would probably be better named something like Not-RCP. It normally contains the things that NNA thinks should be turned off in a Reflected Ceiling Plan. This includes the door swings and the glazing and sashes in windows.

You may need to make custom symbols to get your drawing to look the way you want it to rather than using the stock PIO objects.

Pat

So in my case, it's possible that someone (likely me-whoops!) changed the name of the "Sills" class to "Floor Plan Only" and now the sashes turn off with that class? This is making sense.

The real lesson seems to be that if I use the VW window objects, I'm exchanging the ease of window creation and editing for flexibility of classing that I might be able to retain if I used window symbols that I create myself. In that case, I think I can live without seeing the sashes in my RCP.

As an aside, I wonder, are there dire consequences to pay for meddling with the names of the VW-created classes? Now that the "Sills" Class has been changed (or maybe deleted), will it be created anew if I make a new window object?

Thanks so much for the help!