Blend Edge tool STILL doesn't work properly (VW10.5)

Draw a circle, say 300dia.

Extrude it up, say 500.

Select the blend edge tool, select one of the circular ends, set radius to say 30 and hit enter.

That familiar old message: "Blend Edge has failed"

No setting, or combination of settings could convince it to put an edge radius on a cylinder.

Extruded squares; yes. Extruded Polylines; yes, but not cylinders.

ho hum

I created a new file. ~4"D circle. Extruded 5". Blend w/ 1" R and Select Tangent Entities and not Select Faces. (Don't know if either of those two would make a difference.) It worked perfectly the first time, which is a nice change of pace for me. Dressed it up and here it is:

-

So, at least there evidence that it does work under some conditions.

The problem is it's complete unreliability.

In 10.1 I've had it work on an object, and a duplicate, but not on a third identical duplicate. How does that work??

I gave up even trying with the blend edge in 10.1 because it was not worth my time to even try in the "hope" that it might work.

Ive tried restarts, new files, different sizes, all options, etc etc...... No filleted cylinders for Nicholas :-(

I'd hoped it would have been fixed given the number of complaints about it's (erratic)performance in the past.

Maybe next time...

Can't say I've ever figured out when I needed tangents or faces. I usually just try every combo till one works or I run out of combos. I've historically had big trouble with this tool, and look forward to trying my trickiest ones--saddle connections on intersected domes. NNA has had a test file that we know wouldn't work. Anxious to see if it now does. Also would love to have a way better than trial-and-error for setting those options. But I'll settle for predictability.

quote:

Originally posted by propstuff:

In 10.1 I've had it work on an object, and a duplicate, but not on a third identical duplicate. How does that work??

I honestly haven't got a clue what you're talking about. I have none of the described problems. Running VW 10.1.0 on win2000 with a P3 1.2 GHz and 512MB ram, so it's not the fastest machine on the face on the earth. So if it's running fine on my machine, but not on yours, then it's perhaps a configuration problem? Just guessing, of course.

Cheers,

BaRa

[ 09-10-2003, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: BaRa ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cloud Hidden:

look forward to trying my trickiest ones--saddle connections on intersected domes. NNA has had a test file that we know wouldn't work. Anxious to see if it now does.

Well, bummer. Still doesn't work. Have to use the much longer procedure of subtracting away the saddle area and lofting the saddle at the radius I need.

And the message it gives is really frustrating....says to try tangents when that's already checked, and to try a different radius, without a clue on what other radius might work. Bummer.

And darn it, I get the same ol' non-result with shell solid, too. Just have 3 intersected hemispheres added with the base removed...kinda like a mickey mouse hat. They won't blend or shell.

[ 09-10-2003, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Cloud Hidden ]

quote:

posted 09-10-2003 05:30 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by propstuff:

I honestly haven't got a clue what you're talking about. I have none of the described problems. Running VW 10.1.0 on win2000 with a P3 1.2 GHz and 512MB ram, so it's not the fastest machine on the face on the earth. So if it's running fine on my machine, but not on yours, then it's perhaps a configuration problem? Just guessing, of course.

What I meant in the quote (at top)was that I made an object and duplicated it twice. I then decided I wanted fillets on the ends of the Cylinders (they were Gas-struts). The Blend edge tool worked on the first and third, but fail on the second one. The were "identical" objects. Huh??

On the other hand, I've had it work successfully on far more complex shapes..... It's the unreliability that gets me.

As for configuration problems: it's always possible, but the history of this tool not working properly with numerous other people tends to suggest it's something "wrong" with the tool that's the issue here.

Personally the "blend edge" would be very useful for me, and I'd like to be able to use it.

I have constantly struggled with the Blend Edge tool. MikeB, the great and wonderous oracle on all things VW, suggested that Blend Edge works better with lofted shapes than with shapes created in other ways. i.e. create a cylinder by lofting 2 circles, rather than by extruding a single circle. This has often helped me in 10.1.2 - try it.

Haven't dared to update to 10.5 yet.

No doubt we will have to pay for an expensive upgrade to get a working tool that we paid for in the last expensive upgrade.

Christian

has any one tried to filet the inside of the hour glass shaped shelled solid in the tutorial.

the out side works as discribed in the tutorial but the inside fails with all combinatios i tried . like others i have had eratic results with this potentialy vey usefull tool in past versions and it dosn't look like that has changed

Mike

Mike,

I tried to put a radius on the inside top edge, as you asked. Here's the result:

-

Seems to be working on this side of the globe... A bit difficult for NNA to fix this bug if it can't be reproduced. Perhaps it's a good idea to send this file to NNA together with your system specs - OS version, RAM, CPU, VW version etc. It could help them to reproduce the error.

Cheers,

BaRa

[ 09-25-2003, 04:39 AM: Message edited by: BaRa ]