plants and 2d rendering/mass plant

I have been playing with the create plant tool and place plant tool in general. I have created a plant and all bar the background disappears when I turn on 2d rendering as I wanted to use the shadow/shade. I have tried the same process with one of the standard plant symbols and the effect is similar - the leaf detail disappears. I have attached an image of the two plants in both normal and 'enable 2d rendering mode' The fern was drawn with one class (the none class) so it should not be a class on/off problem.

Any ideas?

We have designed a pretty extensive Plant Library and have not found any issue like this I will check it out on our system and see if we get the same problem. We have noticed when placing some plants that they seem to be scattered throughout the plan. By double clicking on the plant and editing the 2D symbol (do not actually edit the plant just open the edit window then close again.) the plant re-establishes, strange but seems to work.