Palettes scattered

Does anyone have this problem:

Every few days when I open VW08 alway palettes are in a different location than when I left them. For exmaple I have my OIP palette on my left hand side and set to quite wide, sometime when I open VW it is 50% off the screen and shrunk. It seems to happen mostly with palettes that are not floating.

Sounds like it may be corrupted workspaces. Why/how they get corrupted is beyond me. Try removing the offending workspace from your VW preferences folder:

Windows:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Nemetschek\VectorWorks\2008\Workspaces\

Macintosh:

/Library/Application Support/VectorWorks/2008/Workspaces/

Then restart VW. This will force VW to re-open the default workspace in the application folder.

Yep, it was corrupted.

With a pallet covering the entire screen I couldn't draw anything.

And it appears that overlapping all the other pallets confused the application loading and led to the long...10 minute...load times.

I started closing/resizing pallets and figured it out...which saved time over rebuilding the custom workspace.

If I hadn't figured it out, I'd have been dead in the water all day.

Deleting the workspace would have been a real pain.

This sort of problem (and the proposed solution) doesn't create a positive perception of Vectorworks...even though you did respond and I didn't call tech support about it.

I'm reasonably tech savvey, but for many people this type of anecdote could be a deal breaker.

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I have this same problem in connection with a wider VW crashing problem. It is so bad that I maintain a second workspace as a back up and a shortcut on my desktop to take me there!

I am running in a Windows XP environment (yeh I know I should buy a Mac - build a bridge).

Does anyone have any suggestions re a constant crashing issue with VW 12.5.3?

Cheers,

Iain

Does anyone have this problem:

Every few days when I open VW08 alway palettes are in a different location than when I left them. For exmaple I have my OIP palette on my left hand side and set to quite wide, sometime when I open VW it is 50% off the screen and shrunk. It seems to happen mostly with palettes that are not floating.

Are you plugging in an additional monitor/projector by any chance?

The resolution of the computer screen and the additional monitor may be mis-matched.

It could be a video card failure?

You should have one workspace for the computer and a different one for when you are using the additional monitor.