Simple beam calculator

I was very pleased to see this addition to VW2008 - then I had a look at it and have to say yet again VW have disappointed. I have been a user since the MiniCAD days and each upgrade has promised and then missed the mark. That's not to say that each one has not been an improvement, just that every time I seem to be disappointed by some aspect.

In this case the limit to loading variables cripples what could have been a very useful tool for me. Whilst I understand its not a priority, could we not have an improved version that at least lets us load a simple beam like it is in the real world, with a combination of loads.

Well you learn something every day. I really should get out more as I used both those and never realised. I'll go back and see how good they were but I suspect that the same issues will be there too. Thanks for the info.

Edit:

This re-enforces my point only you'd have to go back a few issues. This hasn't been updated/improved since VW11 so am I the only one who sees this as a shortcoming.

Edited by Alan.AHA

Pick the formula you need from American Wood Council Design Aid #6.

You can download the PDF free at: http://www.awc.org/Publications/DA/index.html

The one you need is Design Aid #6. Just select the formula you need based on your loading condition, then doing the calc is a piece of cake (despite the scary-at-first-looking math involved). If you have Excel you can even just enter the formula there so that you can change the variables (length, point load, distributed load, etc) for an instant answer. When Vectorworks does update the Simple Beam Calculator they can be sure to include all of these formulas from the AWC.

tguy

Had a look at beamchek or at least I tried to but as I don't have Excel on here it wont work. Any more suggestions anyone?

You don't need Excel--you may be referring to another product?? If you are having problems, send them an email.

One can also get, for free, Boise's BCI program BC Calc or TJI's program TJ-Beam for design of solid sawn members. Neither of these programs, in my opinion, are optimized for ease of use (speed).

tguy

I stand corrected, I opened up another beam program by mistake and you are correct. Unfortunately it seems to work in imperial (feet and inches). Here in the UK that would make life very awkward requiring a host of conversions. Thanks anyway :-)

Any more suggestions.

Thanks for everyones input BTW

• 5 months later...