I need a texture for polycarbonate sheets.

Hi All. I have tried everything in the Metal Plastics Glass Textures folder and nothing is quite right. It looks like a corrugated plasted. This is a link to the product: http://www.polygal.com/Htmls/gallery.aspx?C2012=12366&BSP=736

We will use something that is opaque, but translucent.

Thanks for the help!

Sofia

PS If it makes any difference I'm on VW 2008 and a Mac, OS the latest (can't tell those cats apart)

Sofia. OK here is a screen shot of something I created very quickly. I think it is close to what you are looking for. The 'secret' has to do with the shape of the object rather than the texture. Remember that in most cases a texture applied to a flat object will still look flat! I started in plan view and made a small (1" diam) circle. Next I duplicated the circle 100 times, and 1/2" in the "x" dimension. Then I selected all of the circles and used the "add surface" command. Next I extruded the resulting object and applied the "glass" texture to it. Let me know what you think. And keep in mind that these types of (complex) curved shapes will add considerable time to your renders. I recommend using them only for close-up shots. For distant shots you could probably get away with a simple wall (with glass texture).

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello Sofia:

This is a texture I have been using to simulate corrugated polycarbonate for a greenhouse. Might make the size smaller for the smaller ribs. Make sure to create a 3D object with thickness so that the refraction renders correctly. One way is to clip a large circle with a very slightly smaller circle and extruding it. That object would be like a thin-walled tube that would render OK.

HTH.

Edited by Dave Donley
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...
On 3/26/2008 at 5:54 PM, Dave Donley said:

Hello Sofia:

This is a texture I have been using to simulate corrugated polycarbonate for a greenhouse. Might make the size smaller for the smaller ribs. Make sure to create a 3D object with thickness so that the refraction renders correctly. One way is to clip a large circle with a very slightly smaller circle and extruding it. That object would be like a thin-walled tube that would render OK.

HTH.

Is there a file or link associated with this post?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello cberg:

Well it was 10 years ago...

I think I would use the Tiles with a Vertical pattern and adjust the margins.  You could fiddle with the settings as a color shader so you could see easier, then choose Tiles for Bump and the settings should be copied over.  Then set Color to Obj Attribute or Plain.

• 2 years later...