Radius Wall and Cased Opening Artifact

Trying to show a simple, plain, arched opening in a radius wall. Create the wall, insert the door, select "Cased Opening". But seemingly no matter how the attributes of the cased opening are set, a rendering of the wall/opening shows what looks like a jamb protruding from the convex side of the wall. Any ideas how to get rid of this? Don't want anything there but a shaped opening in the wall.

Thanks...

Thanks for replying. I tried jamb thickness to zero. Tried zeroing everything else that was accessible. Unless I missed one, what shows is just an oddball effect of the symbol not being well thought out for a round wall. It's a shame you need to segment the round walls to fit an opening. I don't have the latitude for even that workaround--I need half round endcaps (35'D give or take) on a building and they'll have 10' wide arched openings. Segmenting that would completely change the look.

I am not seeing that here. I put a 10' wide arched cased opening into a wall. If you set the jamb width and the jamb depth both to zero, then you don't get anything showing. You also don't get the door showing in Plan, just a hole in the wall.

You might be better off making your own symbol to do this.

Make a 2D arch in elevation and convert to a 3D Polygon. Then make the plan view as 2D arcs. Select both and create symbol. The 3D poly should cut the wall in 3D views and the 2D will show in the plan view.

Pat

I tried a few thing to see if I could make an opening in a curved wall that did not show some truly strange renderings.

Bottom line; it IS possible to do. Rather than try to describe all that I did here is the file. The biggest keys were to set the jam width to zero, Use Wall Depth unchecked and the important one Detail Level:Low.

Now if you need the jam to show then you are SOL. as soon as you make that non-zero it starts to look bad.

Good luck

RonMan

For me, the keys seem to be to set the jam _depth_ to zero, Use Wall Depth unchecked. But if I need to have exterior trim, then I have to duplicate the window to put a second symbol in the same spot, but not as a wall symbol, and then set the wall depth to what it would be if I checked Use Wall Depth, and then set the trim. Sheesh. What it comes down to is that in a radius wall, wall depth is buggy, and the workarounds are a nuisance. But at least there are workarounds. Thanks for the feedback.