2D site map

mike-h

I hope this is a simple one, but I haven't found any info...

I am building a model, that I want to sit on a site map as if it were on a flat board.. I know that really I should model the site but I don't think my powers are up to it right now and the processor is already groaning under the strain of my building.

So I have my site map laid out, at z=0,or actually its -200mm (working at 1:1), and in plan view its all fine, go 3d and the map disappears. Is there a simple way to get it to stay visible, or do I have to make up some sort of 3d geometry to drape it over?

(also am I being daft working 1:1 - does it slow my poor computer down more or if as I'm assuming the no of points, vertices, vortexes etc is the same whatever the scale, does it make no difference to speed?)

thanks for any help!

mike

If the site map is a 2D object (rectangle, polygon), then it will not show in a 3D view.

You will need to change it to a 3D object. If you are using hatches or fills, I recommend that you use a floor object as it will show the fill/hatch in a plan view and still render correctly. If you convert to a 3D polygon, you will not see any fill or hatch in a plan view (or any view that is not rendered).

Pat

Thanks for that Pat, I've managed to make a floor with my map on, but its created a lot of triangulation (see attached pic - a basic GL render of work in progress). The map is an illustrator file that I imported to vw as a dxf.

Do I need to trace the map in vw to get rid of the mess,and make sure all the lines are nice closed polylines or suchlike, or is it likely I've done something wrong along the way?

As I'm now having a go at making the site into a contoured model (mainly a 3m high embankment south of the buildings), is it possible to 'overlay' the map to show locations of trees, kerbs, boundaries etc on the new levels? (I think sketchup calls it a drape tool).

thanks for any help for this novice!

mike

I don't have any really good solutions for you, but here are some things to try

1. Make each of the polys in the map a separate floor object. Or select multiple polys that should be the same color and create a single floor from multiple polys.

2. The polys that are triangulating probably are actually multiple polys with hidden edges. You can go in and Compose them or use the Combine/Connect tool to make a single poly from them.

3. This is a different way to work that might lead you into doing a true 3D model. Make a flat Digital Terrain Model. Then use the polys at Texture Maps (Modify:Convert:Objects from Poly) these can them be colored/hatched and will show up on the surface of the DTM.

In any case, with the number of objects you have, it is going to take some time. I think you need to take a close look at how the data from the map is constructed and edit that to get usable polys.

Sorry,

Pat