Referencing door/window numbers from another file

Historically we've created door/window schedules by Workgroup Referencing our plans (which contain Record Format-linked door/window number symbols) into a separate file and then creating a Worksheet from that referenced data.

Am I correct in saying that the only way to do this is via the Layer Import method of Workgroup Referencing?

The Ellicott Heights project on the BIM in Practice section of our website is a great example of using Database Worksheets and referenced information (in this case, A LOT of information). If you have the time/bandwidth, I suggest downloading and taking a look.

Until then..

I started the Door Schedule with the default from the menu command Reports>VA Create Schedule...> Door Schedule

Next I went ahead and edited the criteria in the Database Header for doors (Picture 2)

Then I point VW in the right direction to find the doors. In this case I had a large number of doors on multiple layers, but wanted to exclude one particular layer (Picture 3). The other two criteria are probably what you are looking for and should include in your Criteria. Just make sure that the "On Schedule" button is selected for your door objects/PIOs in the source documents.

Hope this helps, but keep me informed, we'll get you there.

Thanks Jeffrey, I haven't used the Database Header or Schedule. We have our own custom door/win number symbol which we place on our plans/model.

We then create a elevational door schedule in a different file, then WGR the plans and create a simple Worksheet to count the door types, using, for example: =COUNT('Doors'.Type='A') in a cell.

With this method is it possible to count the types with a true file reference instead of a layer import?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can create worksheets from data referenced using either DLVPs or by Layer Import.

If you are using layer import, the Record Formats are imported (i.e. they show in the Resource Browser) so the criteria dialog will see those just like any other Record Format.

However, if you are referencing data using DLVPs, you still need to place a DLVP on one of your design layers. The criteria dialog can only get to the Record Formats referenced via this method through a DLVP.

Hope this helps.

Tolu

• 3 weeks later...

Christiaan,

Have you found a solution to this yet? I seem to be having the same problem. The worksheet displays fine in my source file. When I create a DLVP in my target file, all that displays is the header information. If I show database headers, I can see the correct count of objects in my worksheet, just no additional rows with my worksheet content.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Currently, worksheet images are not referenced correctly (the contents of the database are removed) - this is a known bug.

A workaround is to create a worksheet in the target file, with the appropriate criteria (i.e only include objects in the referenced DLVP).

Tolu