Wrapped cells with auto calc row height problem

In a worksheet I have some of the info contained in the cells is wider than the column width, so i have selected all cells gone in to the format cells menu > allignment > and selected "wrap text". I have then done in to the row height menu and selected "auto calc height".

Great my worksheet looks fine...

...until I exit the editing area of the worksheet and return to the design layer where the worksheet is. The cells are wrapped but the cell heights are not detecting the wrapped text.

How do I fix this?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I suspect that your row is locked to a specific value.

You basically lock a row height by setting the value manually. To unlock it, select the row and go to the row height menu and select "Auto Fit Row Height".

If that doesn't work, then there is a data corruption somewhere.

Can you reproduce this problem consistently ?

Thanks

Hugues

NNA

Yeah this problem seems to happen with every worksheet even with different files.

The value in the cell is a reference to a custom field in a custom record format. There are no calculations in the worksheet, just the line <='Engineered Beams'.'Supported On'>. 'Engineered Beams' being the name of the record format and 'Supported On' being the field where I have entered a line of text.

Have made a change to a couple of cells (unrelated to the wrapped text) and now the cells are wrapping, how ever as I scroll in and out of the screen the wrap changes. IE when zoomed out I can see 3 of 4 lines that are wrapped, with one roll of the mouse wheel (zoom in) I can now only see 2 of 4 wrapped lines.

If I select a row of text and adjust the row height manually, when I hover over the tick box it says "set to specify the row height of the selected cells". When I tick the box every cell in my worksheet is adjusted not just the selected cells.

Database cells are different from spreadsheet cells.

You can't set the height or format for individual database rows. They always have the same height and their format is always linked to that of the database row.

If you set the height of a database row, all rows in the database will get the same height.

You may see a database row adjusting to fit the content of a wrapped cell in the worksheet editor. This is confusing.

This problem will be addressed in a future release.

Thanks

Hugues

NNA

Sweet as

Have noticed that it is not just row heights, it seems that borders to cells either effect the entire sheet not just the selected cell, have found a few other functions to that effect the whole sheet not just the selected cells.

Yes, the format of a database cell is always linked to the database header cell. The height of a database row is linked to the database header row.

Prior to VW2008, database cells were only selectable as a block. Now with the introduction of single selectable database cells and 2way worksheets, this linkage doesn't make sense anymore.

Hugues

NNA

• 5 months later...

Hi, Iv been having similar issues to CS1 and just wonder whether there is an ETA on the fix. Ive attached a file that Im working on and I wonder if anyone can help.

Ive created a database worksheet and really need the text to wrap to the width of my cells and the row heights adjust accordingly. If I increase the height of the cells manually they all get bigger and the database wont fit on my page.

Can anyone help or advise on this please.

The database functions like a block and the database header controls the format and the height of the database cells. You can not set the height for individual database rows. However, database row heights should automatically adjust to fit wrap text, but it doesn't in VW2008 and this is a bug that will be resolved for the upcoming release.

Thanks,

Hugues

NNA