class description

• 7 years later...

Two comments: first, if people would just name classes in an obvious way (e.g.: Wall...) this wouldn't even be needed; 2) This will require that the creator of the class take extra time to write the description, not to mention others being required to read the description. In the example you give, wouldn't it be way more efficient to simply name the class with a description?? Or are you planning to pick through someone else's classes and add a description of your own?? Either way, I'm not convinced that this won't just lead to more visual clutter...

Why don't we have a column where we can print our own description to a class?

Who can tell what A-------J1N is? It happens to be some kind of wall, but now way I can remember that....

This is possible in AutoCad2008.

A wish list item for this has already been made and submitted by JimW.

Two comments: first, if people would just name classes in an obvious way (e.g.: Wall...) this wouldn't even be needed; 2) This will require that the creator of the class take extra time to write the description, not to mention others being required to read the description. In the example you give, wouldn't it be way more efficient to simply name the class with a description?? Or are you planning to pick through someone else's classes and add a description of your own?? Either way, I'm not convinced that this won't just lead to more visual clutter...

Peter, I do agree with you regarding sensible naming.

However... I've seen quite a few standards (project or otherwise) use awfully long or non-descript (or sometimes both) layer (AutoCAD) or class names which make it nearly impossible to remember what needs to be put in which class, especially if you are dealing with multiple disciplines which are each using their own subsets with some overlap. Having a layer/class description would at least make it easier to check whether you are using the correct layer/class.

If that would be part of a project/standards template then it will be a one time only excercise.

Anyway... currently we need to open the organizer every time to look at the class description, so it would be nice to have the option to make it visible in the navigation palette as well.

-Peter

What I'm building now as part of my company starter template is a classing system which is based on the OmniClass provided by CSI (Construction Specifications Institute) in US. I'm hand typing all the codes of the specific elements found on the OmniClass tables to description cell of the classes. So I want to see which class corresponds to which code in the OmniClass at the same time with all the classes.

It is nice for a beginner to see where to look at to understand what goes where in a project (when you hover over the class the description pops up, I like that feature). I think if a standard naming mapping was provided by VW to OmniClass within the ClassNameStds worksheet it would be a really helpful starting point for beginner companies who are trying to adjust to VW. So that's the reason for my wish.

Edit #1

The class naming makes sense at the same time, but I want a class naming system which can grow on its' own, independent of the type of project. A user can logically create a necessary class combining different codes of the OmniClass table. I feel like this makes sense and leaves up coming up with class names to CSI.

-Art V

I agree with everything you say, emphasizing the point ;

If that would be part of a project/standards template then it will be a one time only excercise.

Thank you for the info by the way. Glad it is in the wishlist.

Edited by sle7en7
Two comments: first, if people would just name classes in an obvious way (e.g.: Wall...) this wouldn't even be needed;

Peter you usually have such good thoughts, but this isn't one of them. I have 2 strong reasons for wanting descriptions.

I work with some far less skilled folks in my office. I set up the drawings and they bug me with questions on how to do really simple things they refuse to learn.

I also routinely deal with massive ACAD files put together by several teams that really don't care what I think or how I (or each other) work. For that matter asking them to change would likely impact my income!

The visual clutter is handed to me to sort out. There are usually only a few classes in these messes that I care about. So if I can describe them briefly then I don't have to remember what some alphabet-soup name means.