Walls above openings -- how?

I would like to know a work process to draw walls above roofs and openings as shown in the attached image. I have been piecing them together with 1st and 2nd floor walls, or multiple pieces on the same floor. Using this method they make visible lines in renderings (hidden line and some others). Also, I have not found a method to make the walls anything other than flat (horizontal) on the bottom (example, on top of a roof)/

Is there a good, easy, accurate way to do what I am looking for?

Hank Whitehead

Sony laptop

Cor Duo 2 mhz, 8400 graphics

Edited by hpwhitehead

You need to experiment with the 3D reshape tool on the 3D modeling tool set (also double clicking the wall will invoke this command) You should be able to do what you are looking to do with cleaner line breaks.

In the above example I surmise you want the wall above the stone entry wall to be a continuation of the wall plane with siding. I would stretch that wall out to the same geometry of the entry wall and then add wall a wall peak from the bottom corner to "subtract" the area of the wall from the entry wall. It takes some practice to do this efficiently. I tend to use lines and locus points to snap to the geometry quickly. If you have a lot of elements behind the wall you wish to edit (then hard to discern what's what in wireframe) then sometimes i will move the wall and the roof or other geometry I want to snap to up or to the side, complete the editing and then move it back.

Basically the wall can take on just about any shape you want it to (as long as its vertical) with this tool. You will immediately see how to raise up one corner of the bottom of the wall so it is not horizontal.

Good Luck

This case is actually a bit more complex. In real life there would be two walls (one with lap siding and one outside of it with stone facade), at least that's how I'd attack it. Then I would do teo things: 1) use a door (set to cased opening with zero jamb width and a gable top shape) to define the wall opening into the connected room, and 2) Use fit walls to roof for the lap sided wall so that it reads correctly in the model, and does not produse erroneous lines in the HL Render. If I have time later I'll attach a screen shot...

Pete, you are talking about building the whole lap-sided wall, full width, then put the stone on the front as a skinny wall, with the height as desired, right?

At the door you would then have two walls. Then set the real door in the lap-siding wall (the thicker one) and make a same-sized door opening in the skinny stone wall with 0 thickness jambs like you describe. I have used this a lot especially where I have openings between diffrent levels that share a wall, like a split level house alteration or row houses with multiple walls built over the years (urban renovations).

I like Tads idea, also, just a bit more complicated to learn.