Edit door plugin

I tried to edit the Simple Door 2 plugin to correct the code's bad assumption that the penweight of a door should match that of its wall (why would a 1.5" wide object want the same line weight as a 12" wide object???).

The vw script editor couldn't open the plugin because the script exceeded 32k. Ok, I opened the script in Word as a text file, and tried to make a change that way. (at the SetLW function, I substitued WallPen for a hard integer value). VW couldn't start up after the edit. Perhaps I mangled the code, but I have done a lot of coding, and feel pretty comfortable doing that sort of thing.

Could something else have gone wrong? Did Word overwrite a binary format? Should I have restablished the plugin's creator and type codes after Word have changed them?

What do other scriptors out there do with scripts greater than 32k?

Is this the correct place to post such a message?

Thank you all, in advance.

quote:

Originally posted by Robert Nichols:

I tried to edit the Simple Door 2 plugin to correct the code's bad assumption that the penweight of a door should match that of its wall (why would a 1.5" wide object want the same line weight as a 12" wide object???).

The vw script editor couldn't open the plugin because the script exceeded 32k. Ok, I opened the script in Word as a text file, and tried to make a change that way. (at the SetLW function, I substitued WallPen for a hard integer value). VW couldn't start up after the edit. Perhaps I mangled the code, but I have done a lot of coding, and feel pretty comfortable doing that sort of thing.

Could something else have gone wrong? Did Word overwrite a binary format? Should I have restablished the plugin's creator and type codes after Word have changed them?

What do other scriptors out there do with scripts greater than 32k?

Is this the correct place to post such a message?

Thank you all, in advance.

The file that you opened has information about the size and contents of itself in the header (data at the beginning of the plug-in). So when you changed the VS code, you invalidated the information that the header contained.

So when VectorWorks tries to compile the plug-in object, it receives bad data and fails to generate valid code.

The only way that you will be able to edit this code is if you do it on a Windows machine (NT allows you to edit the largest of the plug-ins).

[This message has been edited by Lyndsey Ferguson (edited 10-24-2000).]

Thanks, Lyndsey. That's very helpful. It seems that the Mac script or plugin editor relies on the MacOS text engine which is limited to 32k.

I wonder of the file format is public?? if so, I make take on the task of building a Mac editor myself that is not limited by the 32k.

Does anyone know the format, or if it is make available?