selection hold

Brooke

Cannot reproduce this behavior. Is this consistent in any drawing file, for any pair of coincident objects, and any command? Tried with 2 coincident rectangles (dupe in place, color change on one), one selected and convert to 3d Poly command. No selection change observed.

Give an example command, selection (one or several objects?), and object types.

Your signature indicates 12.5.2. The 12.5.3 update fixed a bunch of bugs.

-B

I've only been working on 1 project, 1 file since taking on VW. The phenomenon is fairly common. The objects need not be entirely coincident only where picking is critical. In your example, however, how do you pick the rectangle you want (assuming it mattered, as in my cases, it does)?

"Give an example command, selection (one or several objects?), and object types." I have 2 rectangles overlaying a third on one side and I want to re-size the one below, and am trying to grab a handle on the coincident side. So I can pick the underlying rectangle where the sides are not coincident but when I move up to grab a reshape handle which is on a coincident side the selection is changed.

This seems like a common "problem." VW pays a little too much attention to stacking order. If you have multiple coincident objects, any task that involves the use of handles or dragging will ONLY work with the top-most object. So, if you try to resize or drag an object that's not on top, you can't do it.

As I understand it, the only solution is to move the object you want to manipulate to the top, make the edit, and then move it back.

I'd certainly be interested in any solution to this problem or fix to VW.

If you have multiple coincident objects, any task that involves the use of handles or dragging will ONLY work with the top-most object. So, if you try to resize or drag an object that's not on top, you can't do it.

If "dragging" equals moving, then the above is correct. Selected coincident items/vertices can be easily resized regardless of stacking order, though.

What IS a problem is when a selected top-of-stack item is grabbed by a coincident end/corner point, and the item below is selected and moved (dragged) instead. Happens about 50% of the time.