VectorWorks Isolating client p.c's from rest of Network!

**Placing in general message board as suggested in other thread**

http://techboard.vectorworks.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=99626&page=0#Post99626

Please help...

We have a major issue on our small windows network, basically we have 6 windows based p.c's all operating over a small hub'd network, we have Vectorworks installed on two p.c's Ver 12.0 and Ver 12.5... we keep all of the vectorworks files on a shared file on one of the Vectorworks p.c's..

The issue is this, whenever the vectorworks app is started on one of the client p.c's the p.c loses its connectivity to all the other p.c's on the network the network shares become disconnected and the p.c is not pingable from other p.c's (it can still access the default gateway and internet connectivity!) all p.c's sit on the same subnet. Further to this, the p.c remains in this disconnected state after the app has been closed for up to 40 minutes (even after reebooting!).

This is having a major impact on the business.. we have tried moving the network share to another p.c but still the same issue.. please help, is this a known issue? what can be done immediatley to solve this, please help!

many thanks

Can you be a bit more specific with the network topology, speeds, how they are configured and what PC is hosting what and which ones are using VW. Is it genuinely a hub'd or is it a switch and are these managed?

Also, how are you pinging? By IP address or network name?

When the PC is in 'this disconnected state' what does IPconfig say on the disconnected machine?

I must say, I can't see how VW can cause this although I do not know how its network side has been designed. However, it may be that the network is getting flooded (which is why I ask about hub or switch) or there is a clash in ip addresses.

Hi ian, and thanks... this is info that i put in the other thread plus extra info:

basically if you run a continuouse ping (IP ADDRESS) to the vectorworks installed p.c it replies fine, as soon as you fire up the vectorworks app the pings to it time out, and it loses its mapping to the 'share drive' it is unable to ping other p.c's on the same network but can ping its internet default gateway (on a home router)! (so not totally isolated) when you close the app the p.c remains in this state for about 40 minutes, even if you reboot the p.c!

The P.C's are hub'd there are 5 of them on the network, i thought about the flooding issue too, but the other p.c's can ping each other fine during this, and also the p.c's in question can ping the default gateway???

I am certain it is the app causing this, because it is clear just by doing the ping to the p.c its fine, until the moment the process for the app starts, and then it craps out

this is the same for both of the p.c's with the app installed.. have tried moving the mapped drive off of a vector works installed p.c to a.n other p.c but it is the same issue, as soon as the app is fired up it is affectivley isolated from other p.c's

Other information, just so you are completley in the picture, there are no other funky apps on the machines, just office products i.e etc. the software is a Japanese version as the company are based in Tokyo and it is fully licensed.

I'll get the ipconfig info from the users today.. thanks!

Yes. The IP config info is useful. I am a bit stumped as I can't see how starting up VW will cause a problem like this.

I have seen something similar to this when two machines shared the same IP address. If the LAN is quite small, whilst the problem is happening, it may be worth running IPconfig on each machine.

Also, run ping on the machine to ping itself. Just because a machine does not respond to ping doen't mean that it is not connected to the net. There can be a few reasons why ping will not respond, including turning off icmp requests in a firewall, but again, why would this happen when VW starts.

The other thing to try is to remove the suspect items from the network and run them standalone and see how it behaves. Swapping the hub out for a switch may help, especially if you are running file sharing as with a hub, traffic flows through the whole network whilst with a switch, its point to point only between the nodes.