A line with x's on, like a dashed line only different.

Joz

Question

I've just been informed that I can do the same thing by creating a polygon (open; closed behaves strangely thru this process), converting from the polygon to a repetitive object, selecting the x from the symbols, and then editing the size of the symbol and the pitch of the repetition to achieve the desired effect.

I would infinitely prefer to select a line with x's on from the line attributes palette, and adjust the repetition and size thru the dashed line editor if necessary.

If one could create a dashed line with x's on (perhaps multiple layers, like hatches, but in a dashed line? So, would be layer 1 dashed line, layer 2 leftpitched arm of x, layer 3 rightpitched arm of x...?), that could be quite spiffy also.

Please?

Thank you...

-J

6 answers to this question

The clothes rod behaves appropriately; can a fence tool be added that behaves similarly?

In lieu of the complex dashed-line request above, a "clothes rod" that has x's (tho preferably ones resembling hotspots rather than text) instead of hangers would satisfy me.

Repetitive unit is a ridiculously roundabout way to accomplish the same effect of a tool that already exists (the clothes rod) that could be modified to create a different look (a fence line). Besides, repetitive unit is grossly unsatisfactory in and of itself.

I keep thinking that the dash styles could be editable or create-able in layers like hatches, which allows for all sorts of variation. Instead of x's or lines representing clothes hangers, one could place circles or anything else along a line that behaves like a line, and not a polygon that MUST be closed else repeated units shall float in the center, un-edit-ably, until you convert your repetitive unit object to a group, then edit the group and delete the floating units (or unwanted closed side). This is also the last resort to edit the units that won't orient properly along the path of the polygon. Which, in the end, rather defeats the purpose of the entire process by resulting in an inflexible group of independent bits (which is how I've been drawing fence lines, more quickly than figuring out the repetitive unit tool).

Edited by Joz