Virtual Prototyping/Collision Analysis

GWS

Question

Could anyone tell me if there are plans to incorporate any kind of virtual prototyping into VW. By that I mean the ability to add 3d constraints to a mechanism and then animate the design on screen to show the the collision points. I know of other PC based software that has this capability but would prefer to stay with VW.

Many Thanks

4 answers to this question

Has anyone noticed any progression in this direction since this request back in 2008?

i know there is no sign of it in 2009, but any news in 2010 or the forthcoming 2011?

"3D Constraints", this is STILL another of the many, "Absolute Must's" for VW.

Animation would be nice, but this can be solved in RW or C4D if one needs it for presentation purposes, but the ability to export an already articulated model would make an enormous difference to the work needed to be carried out once you get it to the animation app of choice. Just the ability to grab an element in a VW drawing and watch it follow the prescribed movement, would be a step in the right direction.

This would take all the guesswork out of the process.

After all, isn't that what CAD and computers are meant to be there for? Make things easier?

:)

Edited by AndiACD

A real time tool set would be great. Including functionality during animation of moving parts and or when moving objects and vertices during draw and edit. There is already bit of this ability which I think showed up in VW2009 but may have been there earlier. It's the Analysis Tool in the 3d tool set:

From VW Help:

"Determining NURBS Curve and Surface Proximity

In Proximity mode, the Analysis tool places a 3D locus at the minimum distance or intersection between two NURBS curves, a NURBS curve and NURBS surface, and a 3D locus and NURBS curve or surface. The tool places a NURBS curve at the intersection of two NURBS surfaces."

This at least is an indicator of interference between 2 NURBS, but offers no prevention or auto repositioning to avoid interference for two objects, much less a system of objects. Maybe there are other VW tools or commands which have useful function for this kind of activity.

Interference detection & prevention among any number and any types of objects would be very helpful.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw